“Enjoyed the Nutcracker. Gorgeous theater!”

Richmond CenterStage
Ranked #47 of 179 things to do in Richmond
More attraction details
Owner description: A national and state historic landmark, this performing arts center was originally opened in 1928 as an elegant and lavishly designed Loews movie palace and has since been restored to its former splendor. Performances run the gamut from opera, symphony and concerts to comedy, song, children's entertainment and family shows.
Reviewed 16 December 2012

This is a family favorite so I took my son for his birthday. The theater is very lovely. The seats are comfortable and the view of good even in the balconies. But the real beauty is in the stars and clouds in the ceiling, the statues, and the gilding. How lovely!

1  Thank wombat1223

Reviewed 13 December 2012

Sorry, but this is not a great venue. HOwever, due to limited theaters with large capacity, it gets some great shows.

Reviewed 30 September 2012

I was at the center last night to see a performance. I was shocked at the interior. While the size of the place is fine the seating is poor. First of all, the seats are placed way too close together. Sitting in the seat I felt like I was on a flight from hell. You know, the lowest of economy grade seats one often gets on a plane where there is no upgrade?
I kept getting elbowed in the chest from people sitting next to me. Also, the legroom is poor. God help a tall man or woman. There is NO PLACE to put your feet if you have long legs. The seats themselves are comfortable enough but I could not help but imagine a differently designed seating
arrangement.
You know a performing arts center is in trouble when a representative appears on stage to beg for money. I know I know, our schools are in trouble here in California but private donations represent the bulk of the centers money. Too bad some of these big donors cannot come forth and offer to gut the place to design something more contemporary.
If you want to go to this place, be sure its because you really, really want to see whoever is performing.

1  Thank cloust
Reviewed 8 September 2012

We went to hear KEM on Thursday. We sat on the second row, on the floor. We were very close to him. I was surprised there were seversl rows of office chairs in front of us. When I ordered our tickets, that section wasn't available on TicketMaster. Anyway, the venue is classy and the sound system is pretty good. In the future, we'll sit on the second level to make sure we can see the entire stage.

Reviewed 10 July 2012

I attended many performances here and have yet to be disappointed. I haven't been recently but plan on correcting that as soon as possible.