“Not worth a trip”

Agecroft Hall
Ranked #16 of 179 things to do in Richmond
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Agecroft Hall is an authentic 16th century English manor house. It was was taken apart,shipped across the Atlantic, and reassembled in Virginia in the 1920s. Today Agecoft Hall is open for tours, special events, educational programs, and is home of The Richmond Shakespeare Festival.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Not much here to see nothing to do other than looking through the large homes in the area. The Virginia house is next door so you can get two for one if that excites you.

1  Thank SDeuker
Katie R, Front Office Manager at Agecroft Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

SDeuker,
There are many attractions and museums in the Richmond metro area. Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of Agecroft Hall. Your feedback is valuable. As a historic house museum with gardens, our main activity is guided tours. On behalf of everyone in the Tour Services department, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your brief visit. Happy and safe travels!

All reviews
"grounds are beautiful"
"gift shop"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 28 April 2014

This was the highlight of our trip! The house has been beautifully maintained and the grounds are really lovely. The tour guides were very knowledgeable and we really enjoyed the tour. The day we went they were celebrating Shakespeare's birthday and had all sorts of period entertainment including acrobats and performers. This is a must see for anyone who ever wanted to visit the UK. It's cheaper and easier than flying to England.

1  Thank Laura R
Reviewed 24 April 2014

It is only about 1/3 of the original size, but still huge. My husband and I tour a lot of homes like this, and we still learned a lot. They had cats to control the rat problem because they would throw their food scraps on the floor, that was covered with straw, which was replaced when it became really bad. (Can't imagine how bad it had to get!) They knew enough to keep their bread in cages suspended from the ceiling to keep the rats out, but I guess throwing food scraps after eating on the floor was okay. They drank beer or wine (the water was too contaminated) out of communal jug type cups that were placed on the cupboard (board where the cups were kept). No wonder disease spread so fast!

There is a very small museum that you enter from the garden area that has some pictures of the construction, in addition to the short film you see before the tour.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a detailed review of your experience at Agecroft Hall. I hope you will visit again soon for one of our special events or for another tour.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

For a small fee, 8 dollars for adults,7 dollars for seniors and 5 dollars for students you can see an English manor house built over 500 years ago! In disrepair in 1925 it was sold at an auction and soon after bought by Thomas C. Williams Jr. of Richmond. He had it dismantled and reassembled in Richmond on the James river. First you see a short film and then are guided through this wonderful house with thoughts of what it must have been like to live here in fifteenth century England. I had just read a book on what it was like to live in Medieval England so I was engrossed with every word our guide was saying. He was right on with everything I had read. The house has many period furnishings and one original piece that was fascinating. It also boosts a clock from 1610 that only tells the hour. After the house tour go outside and visit the Elizabethan gardens, a beautiful experience. Our guide was great, it was educational and interesting. Don't miss it!

See more reviews
Reviewed 17 April 2014

If you like history or beautiful old homes, this is a great place to spend an hour or two.
The tour guide was very informative and since it was just my husband and I on the tour, she let us ask as many questions as we wanted and was more than happy to answer. I must saw I was very impressed with some of the things the hall has, like the original pardon to the founder of Agecroft with the Queen's seal.
Touring here and walking in the gardens made my husband and I very excited for our trip to England later this year.
We both highly recommend Agecroft Hall!

Been to Agecroft Hall? Share your experiences!