“Beautiful Historical Church Riveting Reenactment of 2nd VA Convention”

St. John's Episcopal Church
Ranked #12 of 176 things to do in Richmond
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 14 November 2012

We visited on Veterans' Day this year, and watched the presentation with our daughter's family including three grandchildren between 4 and 9 years old. It is a seasonal presentation, done each Sunday between Memorial Day and Labor Day and on the 4th of July. I'm not sure if it's always done on Veterans' Day, but it was this year. The children never made a sound. They watched the whole thing, mesmerized. You actually become a delegate, the actors sit in period clothing in the audience, and while the speakers sometimes rise and walk to the front while speaking, they often speak in their seats. We were amazed at how incredible it was. The graveyard is another thing not to miss.

I wrote that there is no fee for this attraction, it is run by donations. We donated willingly, as the presentation was so compelling and well done. If you are in Richmond, make sure your trip includes a time period where you can visit St. John's and see the reenactment.

Reviewed 12 November 2012

This is a lovely church--Patrick Henry delivered his "give me liberty or death" speech. The graveyard is even more interesting. I always take out-of-towners here and then on to Millie's for brunch or dinner.

Reviewed 9 November 2012

I went thinking I would just get a little history, but ended up getting so emotional I shocked myself! The tour guide was awesome, reciting the entire speech verbatim, and gave the entire history leading up to the "give me liberty..." line. Standing in the exact spot was very humbling, especially the day before the national election. Spectacular and an experience you must not miss. Great gift shop too!

Reviewed 5 November 2012

"Give me Liberty or give me Death".... G. Wyeth's grave site and the grave site of Edgar Allan Poe's mother. And more.... Patrick Henry's famous speech that ignited the fires of the colonialists to take up arms against the crown. For History Buffs... don't miss this!

Reviewed 5 November 2012

The reenactment at St. John's church for the second Virginia convention where Patrick Henry's famous impassioned speech "Give me Liberty, Or give me Death! was delivered to our founding fathers is something everyone should see.