“History comes alive!”

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“History comes alive!”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I've lived many places, including overseas, but consider Richmond home. I had never been to the re-enactment b/c it usually conflicts w/ my church commitments. A friend invited me to go, having had a good experience many yrs. ago. Do get there early! On street parking wasn't a problem.The line was backed down the street sidewalk when we arrived abt 15" early. The church is lovely, w/ quite nice stained glass. It is much larger than I had envisioned for the vintage. It does have A/C. The preamble is a sing-along of patriotic songs, which sets the tone nicely. The best seats for the performance are front and center, which we didn't have. Most actors projected so we could hear them, but I did have trouble w/ some. Patrick Henry was great! The background explanation was quite helpful for context. The actors had great period costumes & wigs. Many have held these roles for years and are professionals, but the performance was fresh. The dialogue made the conflicting opinions clear, as well as the huge risk that the colonists took. This is truly history come alive, and interested me, even though I'm not a history buff. This seemed to appeal to all ages. Afterwards, there is a nice gift shop down the hill, as well as time to explore the lovely cemetery. We also took a short drive around the area, and enjoyed lovely views over the James River and charming architecture in this gentrified area. I used to live on Capitol Hill, and the area brought back nice memories.

Visited August 2014

Asheville, North Carolina
79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Give Me Liberty...”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

This is the church in Richmond where Patrick Henry made his famous speech. Grounds and adjacent cemetery are well-maintained. Great historical site!

Visited August 2014
Richmond, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
“Visit a piece of history”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My family and I visited this when we were at the Irish Festival this year. The church is beautiful and the staff was very friendly. I encourage everyone to visit this piece of American history.

Visited March 2014
Riviera, Texas
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Do not miss the re-enactment on Sunday!”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

What a delightful surprise....and what a treat. The characters in period costume were awesome...and what a history lesson! Prior to entering the church additional info/history of the graveyard and church is provided. The church is magnificent...and the lesson in history was awe-inspiring....even for 4 little 'ole "vintage" ladies from the 'South! Great for ALL ages.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank janetlmorris
Honaker, VA
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Turning point for our nation...loved it as a family!”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This tour is just the right length for you and your kids, very turning point history for our country. This is the site where Patrick Henry delivered his "give me liberty or give me death" speech to many "key" people who shaped our country. Worth the price, very affordable, leave time to walk a couple blocks on historic Church Hill.

Visited July 2014