“Whitewater Rafting in Richmond”
Review of River City Rafting - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
River City Rafting
Reviewed 26 July 2013

My son and I had a memorable time whitewater rafting with River City Rafting Company. Highly recommended for a fun filled morning and well worth the cost. This was my first time whitewater rafting in the James, even though I've lived in Richmond all my life. I was impressed by the experienced, knowledgeable and safety conscious guides. They are professionals. We went on a Wednesday in July at 9 a.m. and were finished by about noon. There were 18 participants and 3 guides on our city trip. We all fit into 3 rafts - each raft had 1 guide and 6 participants. At the office, we signed waivers and were fitted with life jackets and helmets. Then we piled into a couple of vans to go to our put-in point. Before getting into the water, the guide gave us clear safety instructions and paddling instructions. Everyone uses a paddle, but the paddling isn't constant so it's not tiring at all. The minimum age to participate is 12. There was a family with 13 year old twins, my son who is 17, plus lots of young adults, couples in their 30's and 40's, and a few, like me, who are over 50. During the trip, we went through Class I, II, III and IV rapids. We also took a few minutes to float and swim in the river and stopped at Belle Isle for a water and snack break. Our trip started on the south side of the James River near 44th street and continued through the city over the Hollywood and Pipeline rapids until we reached the 14th Street Bridge (Mayo Bridge), where we got out on the north side (downtown) of the river. We were met by the vans and taken back to the office where our cars were parked in a fenced in area. The office is near the river in an older part of Richmond, and I was glad to see that there was a fenced in lot for guest parking because I was a little concerned about parking and leaving my vehicle. You can leave your car keys in the office while you are rafting. They have changing rooms so you can put on dry clothes before you leave. You do need to make reservations in advance.

There are newer reviews for River City Rafting

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Overall a great time. The office was easy to get to, you park your car, sign in, get your safety equipment and safety briefing then it's on the way to rafting! Everyone piles in a van and they take you down the river. Once we were in the water we spent a few minutes making sure everyone in the raft could paddle and follow the guides instructions and then we were on our way! I thought our guide defnitely knew what he was doing and allowed us to have a very enjoyable day. We stopped about halfway through for a water and snack break and then finished up with the trip. The vans were waiting at the end to take us back to our cars. Also we were first time rafters and had no problems!!

Reviewed 12 July 2013

I usually don't leave negative reviews of businesses, but the complete lack of professionalism shown by River City Rapids was astounding. We booked an afternoon rafting trip well in advance and the evening prior to our trip we got a call from Travis that the water level was running high so we might not be able to go. No problem--I go rafting a lot and have had that happen before. Travis then said they were going to go out on the river the next morning and then call us with a final decision--also cool; appreciated them not being too cautious. What nearly ruined the weekend was that they never called us back the next day and since we didn't want to book anything else in case rafting came through we basically were just sitting around. We must have called them a dozen times that morning and early afternoon with no answer and even drove by the office but it was very clearly closed. We went down to the James River and there were other rafting companies out, so clearly the river wasn't too high. It really seemed like they just didn't feel like taking our group rafting and didn't care enough to tell us. Avoid at all costs.

1  Thank Matthew R
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Great company and great guides. All experienced kayakers. No kids just working summer jobs. I took my nephew with no experience and he did great. This is a very safe trip because of the experience of the guides. Can't say enough. River was challenging, maybe a little easy for experienced paddlers at least at 3.9ft. Great scenery. Great trip. Well worth the money.

3  Thank mweidmanrn