“Always a pleasant experience”
Review of 525 At The Berry Burk - CLOSED

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Richmond, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Always a pleasant experience”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I have dined here with my wife at least six times. The food is always a treat, the waitstaff are always pleasant, and the convenience to the Carpenter Center can't be any better. We have repeatedly 'strayed' to other restaurants in the area, but always seem drawn back to here. Consistency counts, and this restaurant has never disappointed us. The relaxed upscale environment created by the folks who work here is like icing-on-the-cake.

RSD

• Visited December 2013

Midlothian, Virginia
“Not a Good Experiece.”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

We had theater tickets last night at the Carpenter Center so we made a 5:30 reservation for a table of six. Two entrees were delivered totally wrong and had to sent back. The rest of us were half finished with dinner by the time the right order was delivered. When the bills were delivered they had the wrong price on the wine ordered. That had to be corrected. The manager said the price of the wine was incorrectly entered in the computer. Not good. Our third couple received their credit card slip which was another tables complete bill. (3 times their dinner price)
On a positive note, the restaurant did not charge us for the wine nor the two dinners that were very late. (Even though they wanted to charge one of us three times the cost of dinner). A comedy of errors to say the least. Let me say that the food was good and I really enjoyed the small plates offered. I had Short Ribs. It is a very good looking facility and even though we had all sorts of issues, the staff was nice. Would I go back to this restaurant anytime soon?
I don't think so.

• Visited December 2013
Central Virginia
“Good dining experience”
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

This restaurant sits within the old landmark Berry-Burk clothiers store. It is now an open floor space with huge windows fronting Grace Street. Be sure to see the antique hat boxes from the old landmark Richmond department stores. Convenient to downtown venues, esp Carpenter Center and Center Stage. Which means on theater night parking is tough to find.

Our starter bruschetta was flavorful. Fresh tomatoes with fresh garlic and shaved parmesan. Wonderful aroma. You get a bowlful and spread it on bread.

The entrees are either small plate or double sized for entrees. I had an apricot brandy glazed filet entree portion - huge. Would have enjoyed half. Fresh green beans and roasted potatoes. Perfectly rare with a good char.

Our other entree was grilled scallops on a lobster risotto. Equally as good.

The pork ribeye also sounded good but we were happy with our orders.

One signature drink was the B3G. Berry Burk Bourbon and Ginger. Citrus slices and basil. It was close to the Bufala Negra that I wanted but as usual wasn't available. Its a prohibition era mix of bourbon, simple syrup, basil and balsamic reduction. Have only been to a few places that even know what it is. This B3G was close and very good.

This is a popular place on theater nights. We timed our arrival to catch a table when the early diners were leaving for the show. Jammed at arrival, attesting to rising popularity but it emptied quickly.

Solid food choices. Outstanding waitstaff. Eager to welcome us, attentive table side service without being obtrusive. Even held door and walked us out to the street upon departure.

I suspect it fills quickly for event nights with a crowd in a rush to make a curtain.

I suggest going at an off time; spend an evening in a restaurant with good views, food, and service. Enjoy a piece of Old Richmond history.

Visited September 2013
Chesterfield, Virginia
“Not worth the money!”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

This is my first (and last) visit to this new city restaurant. The venue is very nice and the wait staff is very pleasant and very well trained. The restaurant is located across the street from an important local theater and parking is available nearby for a modest fee. That is where the good experience ended. The menu is small and lack imagination, very simple dishes that are over dress with heavy sauces because they don't have much flavor on their own. We order their field green salad and it was smothered with so much nuts and bacon that overwhelmed the greens. For main course we ordered pork rib eye and chicken parmesan, the flavors were confusing and I could excuse that and just say that we have different taste and I can leave with that but the meat in both dishes was way over cooked and very dry. When you added all up and pay $84 for this it is definitely no worth the price. It's a shame because we like to patronize local restaurants but we are not coming back here.

• Visited September 2013
Anchorage, Alaska
“The lack of customers should have been a sign.”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

It was just OK. We were attracted by the idea that we could get a large group reservation at the last minute. But the wine list was not just average, but they had none of the local Virginia wine's that we were told are popular in Richmond. Both the red and white bottle we ordered were affordable, but of terrible quality. It's the first time in a while that our group has left wine on the table at the end of the night.

I tried the scallops. Sorry, but sand in scallops is avoidable if they are prepared properly. The first sandy bite pretty much ruined it for me.

The staff is friendly, the decor is modern and clean. They have location and are trying to do right for their customers. But the details just aren't working yet.

• Visited August 2013