“An Unusual Fun Place for Couples”

Colonial Shooting Academy
Ranked #5 of 23 Fun & Games in Richmond
More attraction details
Owner description: Colonial Shooting Academy is the Largest indoor shooting range in the United States! We offer THE premier shooting experience in Richmond, VA. Conveniently located on W. Broad Street, we offer a friendly, state of the art shooting facility for all skill levels, from curious beginner to expert marksman. In September 2012, Colonial Shooting Academy was named a 5-star shooting facility by the National Shooting Sports Foundation. This distinction makes CSA the first 5-star range in Virginia, the fourth on the East Coast and one of the only 25 nationwide. As Richmond's premier shooting facility—and the largest of its kind—our goal is to provide a welcoming atmosphere to anyone interested in shooting, whether you've got experience or not. Our first priority is safety. It's our guiding principle. It starts with education, and it ends with careful and precise planning of every detail, from the front desk to each shooting lane.Before you are able to enter the range, you must first complete a brief 10 minute safety video. This course is provided for free to everyone and is valid for one year. The course stresses the safe handling of firearms, and safety practices we require at all times while on the range. Additionally, we require that safety equipment be worn at all times, and that all guns and ammunition brought to the facility meet our specifications before it can enter the range. Upon entering, you will be accompanied to your lane by the range safety officer.
Reviewed 22 June 2013

This is a top of the line indoor shooting range. Clean, attractive, well outfitted, professionally run, with safety first. Although I am a member, you do not need to join, in fact you do not need to own a gun to enjoy this facility. You may rent all different kinds of handguns, buy ammo and targets, they even provide mandatory hearing and eye protectors. Everyone must watch a safety video prior to using the range for the first time. The counter staff are fine, and the range safety officers are as helpful as they are safety conscious.
Beginners will be walked through everything they need to know in order to have fun shooting. I have seen many couples here, obviously shooting for the first time. Husbands and wives, Dads and sons/ daughters, and even grandparents.
There is a great snack bar (run by Mosaic), and tons of shooting equipment available for sale.
I suggest if this is your first time shooting rent a .22 caliber pistol. They are very quiet, have NO kick, and are great to learn on.
You do NOT need to be a hunter or a shooter to enjoy this great facility.

2  Thank JWL68
in 3 reviews
"wear"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 18 June 2013 via mobile

This was my first trip to a shooting range. Per my husband it was extremely nice. This is an expensive hobby..however, it was very exciting and I look forward to coming back again! There is a short video on safety that you will be "quizzed" on before you are permitted to the range. Enjoy!

Reviewed 24 May 2013

I'm from the UK and was in Richmond for just a few days. They welcome walk-ins and first time shooters, just bring your ID. The staff member I dealt with was very helpful and showed me how to use the gun. After this I was left to it and shot some targets. The shop and range looked very professional and I enjoyed myself so much I went back and bought some more ammo.

I'd highly recommend this place if you are in town and have a few hours spare.

Reviewed 26 January 2013

First class gun store. By far one of the best in Virginia. Reasonable gun prices and nice selection of firearms before the gun market crashed. Everyone on the sales floor is very courteous and helpful. The shooting range is great but could be a little brighter inside. If you purchase a firearm you get 1 free hour of range time. The only thing that turned me off from this place is the behavior of some of the range officers. They are arrogant and will try to intimidate you. Watch out for the tall old man that works the range on Thursday's he's a real tool !!! When I visited this place the other day several people got disgusted and left because of this particular range officer.

5  Thank David N
See more reviews
Reviewed 23 January 2013

The staff is top notch and they usually have a great selection of firearms for sale. Due to the current fear in Washington, their inventory is a bit slim right now. They have world class ranges and everything is easy to learn.

After taking a safety class, you are ready to go. From the most experienced shooters to the basic beginner, they have everything you need. They have a wide variety of firearms of all makes and models for rent, or bring what you got. Rifle's are limited to 30 caliber or less, and all centerfire ammo must be FMJ.

Speaking of ammo, their prices are competitive, and in some cases, they have better deals than anywhere around. Rent a lane for an hour or join and go as often as you'd like.

Have a firearm that needs to be repaired? The armorer is one of the best around and the rates are practically unbeatable.

Peyton L, Director of Corporate Membership at Colonial Shooting Academy, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to rate your experience, Fred. This is what it is all about for us at CSA!

I am glad you enjoyed yourself. Come back and see us any time.

Peyton