“Lots of fun”

Colonial Shooting Academy
Ranked #6 of 24 Fun & Games in Richmond
More attraction details
Owner description: Colonial Shooting Academy is the Largest indoor shooting range in the United States! We offer THE premier shooting experience in Richmond, VA. Conveniently located on W. Broad Street, we offer a friendly, state of the art shooting facility for all skill levels, from curious beginner to expert marksman. In September 2012, Colonial Shooting Academy was named a 5-star shooting facility by the National Shooting Sports Foundation. This distinction makes CSA the first 5-star range in Virginia, the fourth on the East Coast and one of the only 25 nationwide. As Richmond's premier shooting facility—and the largest of its kind—our goal is to provide a welcoming atmosphere to anyone interested in shooting, whether you've got experience or not. Our first priority is safety. It's our guiding principle. It starts with education, and it ends with careful and precise planning of every detail, from the front desk to each shooting lane.Before you are able to enter the range, you must first complete a brief 10 minute safety video. This course is provided for free to everyone and is valid for one year. The course stresses the safe handling of firearms, and safety practices we require at all times while on the range. Additionally, we require that safety equipment be worn at all times, and that all guns and ammunition brought to the facility meet our specifications before it can enter the range. Upon entering, you will be accompanied to your lane by the range safety officer.
Johnson City, Tennessee
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Lots of fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

My wife had never shot a gun, so we stopped here so she could try it. We rented a 9 millimeter with 100 rounds, and the total cost was just under $100. The staff was great, and Chris noticed my wife was a beginner and stepped in to coach her. We had a great time and would love to go back.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Hugh G

new jersey
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“This was the highlight of our day!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

My husband, son who is 14 and I decided to give try this place. My guys have shooting experience and myself very little. Going in and after signing some forms, they have you watch a safety video. What you do is rent a gun and shooting range alley- then buy your ammo. The guys there were friendly and after telling them what I needed, fit me with a suitable handgun. My son selected a long semi-automatic-I think! My husband decided to just share both of our guns. The prices of the guns increase in price if selecting more challenging arms. You have to wear ear and eye protection which they have. One you are in the range, there are safety officers if you have any problems and are quite helpful. If you run out of ammo- no problem- go back to the front desk and buy more! We had a blast!! It probably cost us about 200.00 for the two guns, ammo, and the rent of two alleys.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank cmariert
Peyton L, Owner at Colonial Shooting Academy, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
What a fun family outing (to the LARGEST indoor shooting range in the UNITED STATES)! We are a top notch option for parents to expose their children to the world of shooting, in a safe and educational enviornment.

It sounds like you went back to the counter for ammo several times, if you spent $200 ; ) The Range Safety Officers are quite good at what they do. They really know how to make our first time visitors feel comfortable on range!

Safety. Education. Precision.

Come back again and see us!
Richmond, Virginia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Very nice. No intimidation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

I am a beginner and think all the range officers were very helpful and patient! I wish I could go there more often.

Visited July 2013
Beirut, Lebanon
117 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 116 helpful votes
“Knowledgeable staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

Husband and his friends love the place. They get their ammo there. They have fun. They learn a little more each time.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Irongate69
Richmond, Virginia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“An Unusual Fun Place for Couples”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

This is a top of the line indoor shooting range. Clean, attractive, well outfitted, professionally run, with safety first. Although I am a member, you do not need to join, in fact you do not need to own a gun to enjoy this facility. You may rent all different kinds of handguns, buy ammo and targets, they even provide mandatory hearing and eye protectors. Everyone must watch a safety video prior to using the range for the first time. The counter staff are fine, and the range safety officers are as helpful as they are safety conscious.
Beginners will be walked through everything they need to know in order to have fun shooting. I have seen many couples here, obviously shooting for the first time. Husbands and wives, Dads and sons/ daughters, and even grandparents.
There is a great snack bar (run by Mosaic), and tons of shooting equipment available for sale.
I suggest if this is your first time shooting rent a .22 caliber pistol. They are very quiet, have NO kick, and are great to learn on.
You do NOT need to be a hunter or a shooter to enjoy this great facility.

Visited June 2013