“Worth the wait for these fabulous savory and sweet pies!”
Review of Proper Pie Co.

Proper Pie Co.
Ranked #2 of 22 Bakeries in Richmond
Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

Proper Pie Co. is consistently terrific! I have been several times since it opened last winter. There is always a line waiting when they open at noon. I try to go for a later lunch and avoid the crowds, but then I risk they will be out of the chicken and kumara savory pie which is my favorite. Kumara its like a sweet potato. My favorite sweet pie is the strawberry rhubarb, and the mixed berry, and the apple tart, and anything with meringue. Proper Pie is a neighborhood favorite and has been written up in the Richmond Times Dispatch paper and Richmond magazine. I like their unsweetened ice tea and you can get refills if you eat in.
The cost does add up quickly but it is worth it! There is little seating and the seats are not the most comfortable, but that adds to the charm of the place. you can always pick up something to take home for dinner!

Reviewed 10 September 2013

I've stopped here several times for lunch since they opened. The line of hungry customers often winds round the store front. Deservedly so. Last Sunday we took our visiting family for lunch. The owner of "PPCo" is from New Zealand so knows about pies. It is located in a historic part of Richmond, right next to St. John's Church (Patrick Henry "Give me liberty...") and across the street from a small, well-kept park with benches and picnic tables that make a perfect place to take your pie trophies to eat as the store has limited seating. The four us us sampled a range of their offerings this day: savory pies (veggie and meat), sausage rolls, and dessert pie slices. We have bought whole pies for dessert in the past and dinner guests have loved it. The pastry is second to none and the fillings offer an intriguing mix to suit a variety of palates. The Cornish pasties are classic and every bit as good as their originals in their homeland. Service is efficient and friendly.

1  Thank LJEUSA
Reviewed 1 September 2013

This restaurant is accessible and has great fast food. It is very original and the pies are yummy. The price of the pies add up quickly. More on the order of fast food, the order takers were very friendly and helpful. It is very small and eating space is limited. We did however have a good, different type lunch.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

I tried both a savory pie and a pear tart, and both were delicious. Sadly, the owner, I think, seemed to be rushing us even though we only ordered to go and they had people there and 30 minutes til closing. Still, if you like pie, go here. It's worth it.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

I went to proper pie company today easy to find, good street parking. I ordered steak and cheese pie, thai chicken curry pie, tomato pie, coconut cream pie, and a couple other desserts. The pies average $5. The steak in cheese was like beef stew in your mouth, warm, chunky, cheesy, yumminess. the tomato pie is to DIE For. I really need to eat that one alone. the service was fast there was about 223 ppl in fron tof me i was there for 15 min maybe. And the staff was so nice helpful knowledgable and considerate to how they packed your pies to not crumble or mix the hot and cold . oh WOW what an experience.

2  Thank kizzyc_13