“Undetermined niche”

Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Richmond, Virginia
“Undetermined niche”
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I always have high hopes for new restaurants. A friend & I made an unplanned stop at the Mediterranean Bistro one weeknight when we were headed elsewhere, but decided to try this new place instead. It was early evening, about 7:00, when we walked in, and few tables were occupied. My first impression was that the restaurant opened on a shoestring budget. White walls & sparse decor. That's okay, you gotta start somewhere; if I funded a start-up restaurant, it would operate out of a push-cart.
The menu offered a good variety. We skipped appetizers and ordered entrees. The server seemed remarkably unfamiliar with the menu; we learned during our meal that this was only her second day on the job. My choice came with a salad, which was unmemorable, but the dressing was served on the side (which I prefer). My entree was an angel hair pasta with red peppers, artichoke, garlic & onion. Tasty, but the portion was not large. My companion got a shrimp kabob which looked delicious & bountiful.
The Mediterranean Bistro seems to be at a turning point. Is it a restaurant that wants to be a bar, or the other way around? Meanwhile, patrons are in limbo. They offer a full menu, but the music was so loud that conversation was difficult over dinner. At one point it sounded like a SWAT team had arrived outside, but it turned out to be the sound system. I wouldn't make a special trip to go back, but I'll probably stop in again to see which direction they have taken: bar or restaurant. In a district that is riddled with bars and restaurants, this is no neighborhood for an identity crisis.

• Visited January 2013