“Thank God we didn't pay full price!!”
Review of The Mediterranean Bistro - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Mediterranean Bistro
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Richmond, Virginia
“Thank God we didn't pay full price!!”
Reviewed 13 May 2013 via mobile

I had purchased a Groupon a few months ago and had read a few reviews prior to using our Groupon. I saw on their Facebook page they had done some decorating so I was hoping they were making some improvements based on the reviews I had read which were poor at best. I was unfortunately very wrong. Although the Restaraunt looks small from the outside it looks even smaller inside. The seating is very uninviting and the way the tables are set up plan on joining in with someone else's table. I am all about getting to know your neighbors but not like this. The Felafel I ordered was the worst I have ever had and so disappointing to have such a bad Felafel at a Mediterranean Restaraunt. You would "think" that would be one of their specialities. The fries were ok but thankfully fries are a bit difficult to mess up. My husband's Philly cheesesteak was fair. We were hoping the dessert would be our saving grace of the meal. Unfortunately that was not the case. The Baklava tasted stale and the Tiramisu was not much better although was the better of the two evils. Thankfully we had a nice Groupon because if I had paid full price I would have regretted even trying the place. I will say our waiter who also doubled as the bartender was very nice and accommodating. We left him a good tip as we knew the poor food quality and taste was not his fault. That being said we will NOT be back!!

• Visited May 2013

Richmond, Virginia
“Undetermined niche”
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I always have high hopes for new restaurants. A friend & I made an unplanned stop at the Mediterranean Bistro one weeknight when we were headed elsewhere, but decided to try this new place instead. It was early evening, about 7:00, when we walked in, and few tables were occupied. My first impression was that the restaurant opened on a shoestring budget. White walls & sparse decor. That's okay, you gotta start somewhere; if I funded a start-up restaurant, it would operate out of a push-cart.
The menu offered a good variety. We skipped appetizers and ordered entrees. The server seemed remarkably unfamiliar with the menu; we learned during our meal that this was only her second day on the job. My choice came with a salad, which was unmemorable, but the dressing was served on the side (which I prefer). My entree was an angel hair pasta with red peppers, artichoke, garlic & onion. Tasty, but the portion was not large. My companion got a shrimp kabob which looked delicious & bountiful.
The Mediterranean Bistro seems to be at a turning point. Is it a restaurant that wants to be a bar, or the other way around? Meanwhile, patrons are in limbo. They offer a full menu, but the music was so loud that conversation was difficult over dinner. At one point it sounded like a SWAT team had arrived outside, but it turned out to be the sound system. I wouldn't make a special trip to go back, but I'll probably stop in again to see which direction they have taken: bar or restaurant. In a district that is riddled with bars and restaurants, this is no neighborhood for an identity crisis.

• Visited January 2013