“Great Place - Don't Go If You Are Not PATIENT”
Review of Belmont Food Shop

Belmont Food Shop
Ranked #156 of 1,623 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 27 January 2013

My wife and I heard about this little place on Belmont (in the Museum District) that had just opened and we gave it a shot. They say they take reservations, but as it turns out - only at 5:00 - everything else is "first come"...the barkeep told me to call at 7:00 and he would give me the lay of the land - and to come on down. That's cool!

Called at 6:45 - he said the first tables were turning and to come on down and wait at the bar...we did. We got there and the bar was full (fine)...and tables had not turned yet...and people were rolling in. Luckily we just so happened to be the first few rolling in - and were in line for the 5 - 6 tables (NOTE: Belmont is SMALL!)

We waited about 30 minutes, but that was okay. Belmont has a "mixologist" on staff - and they mix all of their own soda/seltzers. The tonic (with my favorit Vodka) was incredible. with a chunk of ice taken off of a block to ice it down, it was a nice surprise.

Once seated...(we must have seen approx. 10 couples walk in and leave over the course of dinner due to space) we focused on the chalkboard menu. I had a squash ravioli app and my wife had a nice arugula salad. Both were very light and refreshing.

For entrees, my wife had a roast chicken in a wonderful lemon sauce. I had a glazed "bone in" pork chop - which I debated, but when it came out - it too was wonderful. My only complaint of Belmont Food Shop is that it had no "Steak" on the menu and was heavy seafood. While no complaints with seafood, I didn't feel like seafood that nigth and a steak would have been a nice "staple". Maybe they sol out - just don't know?

A must try - but if you like to "get in and get out" - you might not like Belmont Food Shop!

Reviewed 11 December 2012

I was in Richmond for a visit, and wanted to treat my gracious hosts to a nice dinner. When they informed me about this tiny new restaurant, I was intrigued. Since it only takes reservation if we can be there at 5 pm, we were there on the dot. It is so small that there are only 11 seats at the five tables ( we took the only corner table which seats 3), and six barstools at the bar. My first thought was, how do they manage to stay in business?

The bartender/ waiter was very helpful, and we waited in anticipation. First, we shared an appetizer, ravioli with yellow squash as the stuffing, it was so good that I wanted to dip the bread to soak up the sauce. My guests ordered the Monk fish, and I had Rockfish for our entrees. My Rockfish was the best I had ever in the U.S.: crisp skin outside and tender meat inside, with just the right combination of the flavors; a sophisticated presentation rivals some of the top restaurants in NYC or DC.

Then, we shared a pear crisp for dessert. I had to confess that when it comes to dessert I am a chocoholic and creme brulee fan; but I will convert for this dish, and have the pear crisp all to myself next time when I am in town!

RC from DC

Reviewed 11 December 2012

Small intimate place, great food,good service and good prices. Worth waiting for a table on the weekends. Nice addition to the Museum District

Reviewed 2 December 2012

I almost hate to write such a glowing review because now everyone will know about this hole in the wall and I won't be able to get in. But the owner/chef deserves to grow and be successful. Mushroom soup...best ever with NO CREAM...hurray! full of flavor and interest. Rockfish was spectacular...interesting sauce, fish prepared perfectly. Butternut squash ravioli was fantastic...al dente with a bit of bite, scrumptious filling. Smoked bluefish was excellent, but description didn't mention it as a fish salad...I expected pieces of smoked fish. Still, I'm not complaining. We were so full that two of us opted not to order dessert, thinking we'd pick of the third person's stacked chocolate dessert...NOT!...within seconds there wasn't a morsel left. The french pressed coffee was the best I've had in Virginia...what beans are they using? I want some! In addition to our server, the chef came out to see how things were...and they were terrific! The jazz absolutely enhanced the evening.
OK, here's why I didn't give it 6 stars (besides the obvious)... it's noisy and the tables are close together and very few. Once word gets out, it will be an impossible situation. Already, we saw several folks come and leave because there were no tables.