“Belmont Food Shop - Amazing Prix Fixe; Overpriced Wines”
Review of Belmont Food Shop

Belmont Food Shop
Ranked #225 of 1,612 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Richmond, Virginia
“Belmont Food Shop - Amazing Prix Fixe; Overpriced Wines”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

While Belmont Food Shop changes its menu frequently, I was fortunate enough to dine there when the appetizer list featured Braised Rabbit with Hominy and Corn. Tender chunks of rabbit with a creamy-silky sauce. The balance of corn and hominy perfected this dish. Because of the richness, the portion size was just right as well.

We had not planned to eat here, but arrived early enough to snag a couple of places at the bar. I also enjoyed the Roast Chicken with Spoon Bread and Spinach. The chicken was moist and tasty; spoon bread, spot on with the balance of corniness and sweetness.

The wine that I imbibed was the Petit Petite from David Michael. One of my recent favs, but a bit pricey given a restaurant down the street offers it for $12 less per bottle. I guess the wine prices make up for the fantastic price of the $30 three course prix fixe.

• Visited August 2013

Trondheim, Norway
“Everything From Scratch”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Our niece was in town yesterday, so we went to the Belmont Food Shop. It was our first dinner visit and we were very pleased. We had discovered the restaurant in a recent Real Richmond Food Tour. We each had the three course prix fixed meal (with appetizer, entrée and dessert, $32 per person) which was a good value. We accompanied the meal with a nice bottle of Gamay ($40). The Gamay was light and went well with everything. It was Monday night and the restaurant was not crowded which was perfect for conversation. Visiting on Monday was nice.

We began with an amuse bouche of baked mini cheddar cheese buttons. They set us up for the rest of the meal.

Our appetizers were two Tomato Tarts and Spiced Duck. The Tomato tarts had a pastry base topped with goat cheese and thin slices of nicely roasted tomatoes. The classic flavor combination of goat cheese and perfectly ripe tomatoes combined well. The Spiced Duck was six slices of gently cooked, lightly seasoned duck breast over fennel salad. I was not a duck fan, but this dish made me a convert.

We each had fish for dinner ordering Rockfish, Salmon and Flounder. Each was simply and perfectly cooked. The Rockfish was served on a bed of gazpacho. The oak planked salmon was highly flavorful and simply presented. The flounder was the best I have ever tasted. It was nicely sautéed and finished in the oven, then served over slices of purple potatoes and summer green beans.

One minor concern was the fresh bread that accompanied meal was a bit underdone and thus did not reach the heights of the rest of the meal. It came with an insufficient amount of apple zucchini spread.

After we finished our entrees, Mike the Chef/Owner stopped by our table for a visit. It was interesting to hear about his professional background and the history of the restaurant going back to the buildings use as a food shop in the 1920s.

For dessert, we had blueberry cheesecake and two peach cobblers. The cheesecake was delicious. It was lightened by the addition of whipped cream and a touch of lemon zest. Perfect for a hot summer day. The peach cobblers were warm from the oven and served with yogurt. I had also had local Black Hand Coffee which was served in a french press.

The check came with chocolate truffles that were dusted with cinnamon. Our server was pleasant and competent. The meal was very nicely paced which added to the evening.

In summary, this was one of the better restaurant meals that we have had in our quarter century in Richmond. The ingredients were very fresh, simply cooked and perfectly presented. It was a fine summer meal. We are looking forward to returning.

• Visited July 2013
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing find in Richmond”
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I was lucky enough to happen upon The BFShop last week for dinner. I was blown away with the value and preparations. Considering the interesting ingredients used the meal is a great value. Rice flaked Soft Shell Crabs, Braised Oxtail, and Foie Gras with Rhubarb were among the highlights of a superbly prepared meal. Congrats!

• Visited June 2013
“Wow!!!! What a fabulous dining experience!!!”
Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

Richmond is so lucky to have this gem of a resturant!!! Absolutely delicious!! Such unusually and imagative food combinations. Super fresh food, lovingly prepared! This is by far my new favorite resturant. We went there twice this week and can't wait to go back. If you want a delish, unique dining experience, make a reservation today!! Highly recommend the seafood; perfection!!

• Visited June 2013
Richmond, Virginia
“A bad policy”
Reviewed 18 May 2013

We had a delightful dinner last night yet it ended with dissappointment. While three courses with dessert are included, I was quite satisfied after my main course. My three companions ordered dessert but I asked for mine to be boxed to take home. The waitress, who by the way gave us excellent service, simply said that there would be an additional charge. The food was delishes but I doubt we'll be returning.

• Visited May 2013