“Fresh!”

Rappahannock Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Rappahannock Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 1,642 Restaurants in Richmond
Price range: US$15 - US$60
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 4th Street
Transit: Stop 1052 on the GRTC bus line.
Reviewed 5 April 2013

We were looking for a place to have a quick dinner before a Richmond Ballet's Swanlake performance and stumbled upon this Seafood restaurant. Inside it was packed, we were told there was a wait of 45 minutes to an hour. I spotted 3 seats at the bar and asked if we could eat there and - luckily - we could. The barman took the time to explain all the available oysters and we decided to order a plate with 4 different kinds, they were all wonderful and shucked right before our eyes. My daughter ordered grouper which was fresh and well prepaired. They have great wines by the glass and service was excellent. As my daughter will be dancing with Richmond Ballet next year, we hope to return many times

Reviewed 27 March 2013

Went March 26th for a business dinner after a long day of meetings. I was glad we arrived before 6pm as we did not have reservations and they were fully booked for the night - on a Tuesday! Service was prompt, quickly getting water and a drink list. The wine list was a little short on reds, makes some sense for a seafood place but witha number of grilled fish options I would have liked a few more bottles to select from. The oysters are available either raw or grilled in the evening. Quite nice to see a restaurant not want to weigh such a delicate tastey slice of the sea in fried crumbs and oil (I do like a good fried oyster, but to do that to these is a waste!). Our waitress did a nice job walking us through the short menu. Once we ordered our appetizers and wine both came quickly and were very nicely presented. There was an oyster and rockfish stew on the menu that I jumped on for my entree, my colleagues all ordered the whole sea bass. There was not a peep at the table for the first 5 minutes after they gave us out plates. Everyone just raved about the flavor and quality of their selections. We did not try desert as the meal portions left us very well satisfied.

If you don't care for seafood, there is a steak and a pork belly option that our waitress said were both excellent. If you are a true carnivor this might not be the best restaurant for you.

Our drinks remained full all night, I felt the pace of the meal was nice and we were well taken care of. My only complaint would be the space itself. The restaurant is shaped like a large box with a full square bar in the middle. As the evening went on the noise level did get high, making business discussion a challenge. With friends or family maybe not so much of an issue.

I live about an hour from Richmond but would absolutely recommend and return - I want to get back to try the clams!

Reviewed 26 March 2013

The Rappahannock is a new restaurant in Richmond that has received good reviews and my wife and I decided to go for some oysters. I highly recommend that you make reservations. We were shown directly to our table and order a dozen raw oysters and half dozen clams. Both were very good, in fact the oysters were the best that I have tasted in the U.S. and I eat oysters in New Orleans, Florida, and the North West fairly often. I also ordered the roasted pork belly which was a little be of hog heaven.

Reviewed 27 February 2013

Our usual lunch group of 7 was down to 3 today and that might have been a good thing- The menu was somewhat limited for lunch and the ones not here today might have struggled with the choices. The only oysters available are raw and that was not what we wanted for lunch. However we enjoyed our cooked clams and the rockfish sandwiches. They were both excellent and we all had a glass of the prosecco on tap which was very nice. Our server did a great job of explaining the menu. When asked to bring just two oysters so two of us could try one - he was a good sport. We got quick and atttentive service. It was a pricey lunch but worth it. All of us plan to return for dinner soon. At dinner you can also get roasted oysters but still not fried oysters.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Oyster lover heaven. We had them both roasted and a variety tray of fresh shucked on ice. Powerfully good. Hard to find fresh oysters as far inland as Richmond.
Main course was a whole grilled red snapper, about 2 lbs. classic french preparation: cleaned and stuffed with lemon and tarragon and rosemary. Served head on right off the white hot oak grill. Simple and delicious.

Long Beer menu included a fruity brew from Freising Germany where I once lived ( and where Bishop Ratzinger served before becoming Pope). .

Get a high table at the window and watch the theater goers stroll by.

Best new restaurant/ best seafood grill in Richmond. Word of mouth has it busy. Call for reservations. Make an evening out of it.

1  Thank Traveller_Jr