“Horrible service and staff attitudes”

Rappahannock Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Rappahannock Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 1,602 Restaurants in Richmond
Price range: US$15 - US$60
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 4th Street
Transit: Stop 1052 on the GRTC bus line.
“Horrible service and staff attitudes”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Normally I don't complain, But after two visits and similar experiences I have to. We felt both times we were a bother to the staff. The soft shell crabs were like eating burnt butter fried paper! The worst ever! Made mention to the server and told they were the last of them. What does that have to do with sucky food? I didn't ask for anything ate them and commented. Not worth the $30. So next time, same thing, Different dishes, but the service was horrible, Just attitude. I say avoid this place

• Visited May 2014

St. Augustine FL
“Nice lunch overall”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stopped in for lunch this week with a business client and a colleague. For lunch I ordered the Rockfish sandwich and the others had the Barcat chowder.

The fish tasted fresh and everyone liked the chowder.

• Visited May 2014
silver spring
“Very good, but not great. Rappahannock has a bit of an identity crisis”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Rappahannock has a slightly trendy, slightly snooty Urban vibe that does not quite fit with its very plain industrial decor and its large, dominating bar. I expected a more laid back and casual atmosphere, which it may well have on other nights of the week, but on the evening we were there I was surprised by the stiff, almost awkward ambience. The food is mostly fine, excellent raw oysters (for which they are known) and some unusual entrees such as a slow roasted lamb neck that was very well prepared. The wine list was very good with a wide range of offerings. My scallops were "ok" as they were big, but grilled very hard on the outside and raw within, surrounded by bitter grilled artichoke hearts that I doubt anyone in the kitchen had tasted, and seasoned with a heavy hand of smoked paprika. I can't say I enjoyed that dish. Service was "ok" , helpful and good to start but then our server spent the latter part of the meal engaged in chit chat with colleagues while holding a tray of lit votive candles in what by then was an almost empty room. More than once I went to the empty hostess station to collect dessert and cordial menus because our server had disappeared in the back. We spent $200 incl. tip for a good, but not a great meal. I felt like the prices were out of line with the experience. If I were to return to Richmond I might go back to this restaurant, but would just go for oysters and beer or wine at the bar.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank sjtam
Richmond
“Welcome Addition to Richmond Scene”
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

We had been wanting to try Rappahannock for awhile. We had a party of eight, so when I confirmed the reservation I was informed that only one bill is allowed for large tables and mandatory 20% gratuity. I get that but when that is the cars you do expect the best service. The atmosphere and space are cool. A large square bar dominates the front of the space. The food was excellent although I think it is silly to charge people for bread. When we started our waitress's seemed fairly disinterested in us and disappeared for long stretches. It took too long to get our first round of drinks. As the meal went on she did seemed to become more attentive. However, considering our bill was surely over $400 I would have thought she would have really demonstrated superior service for that 20%. Richmond's restaurants are really coming into their own but as a recent food editor wrote in Richmond's paper the quality of service with wait staff needs significant improvement. We'd try Rappahannock again but I'd be upset if the service is not better. I suspect the 20% tip was on the alcohol as well, which really is not proper considering we had drinks and two bottles of wine.

Visited April 2014
atlanta
“Seems to have lost it's appeal”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I don't like to write bad reviews, especially about a restaurant I really used to like but our last visit to Rappahnnock was not a pleasant one. We had made reservations and specifically asked not to be seated in the back (near the restrooms). As the hostess took us to our table, we passed several empty tables and were sat at......the last one at the entrance of the restrooms!! This is not the first time this has happened either. We said we wanted another table and although we did get it, the "manager" (sorry, didn't get his name, short with a blue and white checkered shirt) seemed to have a problem with it. I called the manager over and asked what his problem was and he kind of smirked and said "no problem" I then explained that this was not the first time this had happened and we wouldn't be back. He kind of apologized but we did not feel it was very sincere. Had it been, maybe he would have offered us a drink or something for the inconvenience.
Average rating does not refelect the food or the server. The food was good, although the desert menu never seems to change.
Our server Alexandra was very sweet and efficient.
We feel that Rappahannock has become complacent now that it's doing well. I have 20 years of experience in the restaurant business and I can tell you it won't fly and costumers will begin to notice and, like me, will not be back.

• Visited April 2014