“Nice place for drinks” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rappahannock Restaurant

Rappahannock Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Rappahannock Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #35 of 1,594 Restaurants in Richmond
Price range: US$15 - US$60
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 4th Street
Transit: Stop 1052 on the GRTC bus line.
Michigan
“Nice place for drinks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stopped by for drinks, no food. The atmosphere was lively and modern. There was a nice selection of wine by the glass. I am only writing a review to counter some of the comments by earlier TA posters about servers' attitudes. We chatted with three or four staff members and found the staff exceptionally friendly and professional.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank csgc

Wilson, North Carolina
“Rappahannock Resraurant Review”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Restaurant was within walking distance of the hotel, which is why I think our company chose it. I would consider the food to be "yuppie" food but I'm a country boy at heart, so forgive me! I had a beer made from melon and cucumber, it was a "different" kind of beer for sure. I had the halibut filet, it was tasty. One of my co-workers ordered the Paella and I was quite envoius. If I go back, it's the Paella for sure!

1 Thank RodneyG
“Horrible service and staff attitudes”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Normally I don't complain, But after two visits and similar experiences I have to. We felt both times we were a bother to the staff. The soft shell crabs were like eating burnt butter fried paper! The worst ever! Made mention to the server and told they were the last of them. What does that have to do with sucky food? I didn't ask for anything ate them and commented. Not worth the $30. So next time, same thing, Different dishes, but the service was horrible, Just attitude. I say avoid this place

• 2 of 5 bubbles
St. Augustine FL
“Nice lunch overall”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stopped in for lunch this week with a business client and a colleague. For lunch I ordered the Rockfish sandwich and the others had the Barcat chowder.

The fish tasted fresh and everyone liked the chowder.

silver spring
“Very good, but not great. Rappahannock has a bit of an identity crisis”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Rappahannock has a slightly trendy, slightly snooty Urban vibe that does not quite fit with its very plain industrial decor and its large, dominating bar. I expected a more laid back and casual atmosphere, which it may well have on other nights of the week, but on the evening we were there I was surprised by the stiff, almost awkward ambience. The food is mostly fine, excellent raw oysters (for which they are known) and some unusual entrees such as a slow roasted lamb neck that was very well prepared. The wine list was very good with a wide range of offerings. My scallops were "ok" as they were big, but grilled very hard on the outside and raw within, surrounded by bitter grilled artichoke hearts that I doubt anyone in the kitchen had tasted, and seasoned with a heavy hand of smoked paprika. I can't say I enjoyed that dish. Service was "ok" , helpful and good to start but then our server spent the latter part of the meal engaged in chit chat with colleagues while holding a tray of lit votive candles in what by then was an almost empty room. More than once I went to the empty hostess station to collect dessert and cordial menus because our server had disappeared in the back. We spent $200 incl. tip for a good, but not a great meal. I felt like the prices were out of line with the experience. If I were to return to Richmond I might go back to this restaurant, but would just go for oysters and beer or wine at the bar.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank sjtam

Been to Rappahannock Restaurant? Share your experiences!