“Mediocre All Around”

Piccola Italy Pizza & Subs
Ranked #524 of 1,719 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Deli, Italian, Pizza
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My family of four tried this restaurant using a Group for 2 appetizers, 4 entrees, and 2 desserts. If I hadn't gotten the food for about half price, I'd have scored it lower. The calamari was freshly breaded and lightly fried, but the calamari must have been previously frozen and lacked flavor. The bruschetta was basic and good. The chicken parmesan was very good. The chicken masala was just okay. The gnocchi was good (but better the leftovers were much better next day). The eggplant in the eggplant parmesan was sliced so thin, that is was mush with breading and oil. The Reece's pie, was just a slice of store bought pie and not homemade. The espresso beignet was good, but small. We won't be returning even if we could pay 1/2 price again.

Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

I order from here all the time. The food is always delicious and delivered in a timely manner. The chicken wings are nice and plump and delicious. Also the Mediterranean salads and the subs are always tasty.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

The customer service was rude and disrespectful when the guy took my order over the phone. The delivery driver never brought the food to the door...I had to go to him. The mozzarella sticks were soggy and barely warm, Thee steak and cheese sub was soggy with grease and had very little flavor, and the turkey and cheese was the only thing that was good. It cost me 30 to learn to never order from this place again.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Most people think of this as a pizza and sub shop, but it has a small and casual restaurant attached that is highly underrated. The food is good and plentiful, as well as reasonably priced. The one downside is that you have to plan to be there for awhile, since service has always been very slow.

This restaurant is within walking distance of Virginia Commonwealth University as well as the Landmark Theater. I've eaten there several times prior to a theater performance. The problem is that if you need to be somewhere at a specific time, you might be in for a nervewracking meal, since Piccola's does not have the speediest service. In fact, on every occasion I've been there, only one waitress was available to serve all the patrons. In addition to taking and delivering orders, she was also the bartender. They need a second person, especially during nights when there is an event at the theater!

I've enjoyed their portabello mushroom sub sandwiches and on my last visit, tried the Spaghetti Carbonara. The portion was HUGE and I took home 3/4 of it to enjoy for a few meals afterwards. Although it was not the best Carbonara I've ever had, it was respectful and had a sauce that was just the right consistency. They used pancetta instead of bacon (I prefer bacon) but I thoroughly enjoyed it nonetheless.

With a little bit of attention to detail, this above average neighborhood joint could become a lot better. Their menu choices are expansive and everything has always been delicious. Just wish I didn't have to bite my nails every time I walked in there, wondering if I was going to get a chance to eat my meal before I had to rush out for the theater.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

Stopped in on a Sunday evening for a late night dinner. Order a calzone, Italian sub and steak salad. All the portions are large and reasonably priced -calzone $8.95' sub $6.50 and steak salad $8.95. The best deal was PBR draft pints $1.50. Service was good the food good not great but what do you expect for the money?