“VERY GOOD”

Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Our mission is to provide our customers with a delicious all naturally smoked pork shoulder that is chopped to order right in font of the customer. Our appetizers, side dishes and desserts are home made fresh daily along with our signature sauces. Our business philosophy is simple: "Treat others as you would personally like to be treated and provide them with the best quality products and services at reasonable prices." Our restaurant has received the Governor Bob McDonald's award for Best BBQ in Virginia 2010, We have been featured on Virginia This Morning (WTVR Channel 6) as Best BBQ in Richmond. We are the ONLY BBQ restaurant that has been invited to the Governor's Mansion 3 years in a row (4 including this year when the event is scheduled) to showcase our BBQ. At Benny's BBQ we strive to serve you the best BBQ meal we can offer. As a rule since the original owner, Benny Gill owned the restaurant if you are not satisfied with your meal we will gladly make it right for you. All we ask in return is the opportunity to make your dining experience most enjoyable. Our servers are trained to check on our guests several times during your meal to make sure you are happy with your entire dining experience.
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We really enjoyed our dinner here. They give you very generous portions and everything was very good and fresh. Everyone from the staff was quite friendly and pleasant. It is easy to feel very comfortable here, if you are a fan of BBQ or ribs you need to try this place!

There are newer reviews for Benny's BBQ

Reviewed 14 March 2014

Stopped by for dinner tonight for the first time and I ordered the half rack baby back rib dinner. The seven (7) ribs had a good taste but there was very little meat on the bones. For $20 I expected to be full when I finished my meal. I was glad my wife ordered the fried chicken tender dinner so I could finish off what she didn't eat. The chicken tenders were good as was the sides of coleslaw that we ordered. The restaurant was very clean and service was good. We may give them another try if we are in the area but I think the next time I may try one of the BBQ platters hoping for more food for the price.

1  Thank duffey3700
Reviewed 6 December 2013

After hearing several people rave about this place I bought a Groupon and finally went there for dinner with my son.

1) Service: Was less than friendly. It took a lot to get the waitress and hostess to crack a smile. But I DO have to give them credit for keeping our water glasses full and checking back several times to make sure everything was OK and that's important. But they just weren't very friendly! Maybe they're worried about their jobs if this place doesn't make it. It also took quite a while to get served; longer than I would have suspected giving enough time to fry the potatoes, throw a slap of ribs on the grill to heat up and put the items on a plate.

2) Food: We had a basket of onion rings ($7.75), bbq pulled pork sandwich combo (French fries and green beans) ($9.00), and a half a rack of ribs and pulled pork platter with fries, 2 biscuits, and sliced baked apples (~$22).

The onion rings tasted like they were home made. I think they need either a new recipe or go to Sysco and get better frozen onion rings. They appeared to be battered on premises. The batter was missing *something* but not sure what. It tasted like plain flour and water mix with NO seasoning at all. If they had some seasoning salt and maybe beer in the batter it would surely have helped. They were also pretty greasy which tells me either the oil was old or not hot enough.

I am very particular on my ribs. These were just not very good! Very chewy, tough, dry and not flavorful. I think most of us like ribs that fall off the bone but don't taste pre-boiled. These were far from 'fall off the bone' tender. There were about 6 ribs on my son's platter.

The pulled pork on the platter and on my sandwich was tough and dry. There was a generous portion on the platter. The pulled pork sandwich was disappointing. The top of the hamburger bun was crisp as if it had been placed in the oven or on the grill. I don't like 'crunching' into a pulled pork sandwich (except for the crunch of the coleslaw).

The green beans....not very memorable...I can honestly say there wasn't much to remember about them compared to a place like Famous Dave's or even Dickies.

The French fries came out steaming hot. These fries are battered. Some people *like* fries like that. I don't. For me, just put the cut potatoes in the oil and get them crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. It was a generous portion both with the platter and with the sandwich.

There were two positives: the baked apples were very good and I really liked their bbq sauces...one being a Carolina mustard/vinegar sauce with a kick.

Thank goodness for the Groupon. In *my* opinion there's lots of MUCH better BBQ places around town than Benny's. This would have cost about $40 and that was only with drinking water.

Based on some of the good reviews I had read I'm wondering if something has changed over the year with the management, cooks (I hesitate to use the word chef), or perhaps something else.

With the disappointing food, what I felt were relatively high prices, and slow and not very friendly service I won't go back.

7  Thank djschwar
Reviewed 21 November 2013

The good things about this: nice atmosphere; nice, helpful waitress; ok hushpuppies; decent microbrew selection; large portions. Despite these positives I cannot say that I particularly fell in love with this place. I got the half slab and pulled pork combo and in terms of volume was great. In terms of taste well I can indirect grill pork that tastes better than this. Pulled pork was really slabs with little flavor. First piece of the rib tasted excellent and then the rest were tasteless with a shell (glaze) going across this. I can only think of two reasons for this glazed shell-1) put the sauce on too early or 2) did not cut off the membrane prior to barbecuing. Prices are right on par with most other bbq places in the area.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

First time we went there was when a local band was playing, my husband called ahead to ask if we needed to place reservation for that night and was told no, then we arrive there and told that we should have made reservations. Then the second time we went it was just as bad or worst, we had purchased a Groupon and was told oh you can't use it with just 2 or 3 people, we require you have 4 in the group, upon ordering the groupon was shown to the waitress, she didn't bother to mention that to us. Needless to say the food wasn't all that great, Buzz and Neds and even Dickeys has them beat. The food prices are to pricey.

5  Thank Ladybug51661