“Great Atmosphere and Food”
Review of Zeus Gallery Cafe - CLOSED

Zeus Gallery Cafe
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
“Great Atmosphere and Food”
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

My husband and I are here on our 10 year wedding anniversary and it was just what we were looking for...romantic and great food. I had the calf liver with mashed potatoes, gravy and green beans. We also ordered a corn chowder for an appetizer, we were too stuffed for dessert. Oh and they have great bread, it reminded me of my grandmother's homemade bread. All the food was very great, better than expected. The place looked closed from the outside but it was in fact open, just candlelit and romantic. Seevice was good and fast, great pick for the museum district.

• Visited September 2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Absolutely wonderful meal”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

If you're looking for an exceptional dining experience, try Zeus Cafe. I went there on a date with my boyfriend and loved every second of my experience. The atmosphere is charming and intimate and the wait staff is service oriented and attentive. All the menus are written on chalk boards, which adds an extra local flare to the incredibly fresh menu. The wine, shrimp appetizer, crab cakes and scallops were all exceptional. Don't skip on dessert, every option sounded like something I would love, we chose the homemade peach cobbler with ice cream but you really can't go wrong.

• Visited September 2013
Orlean, Virginia
“Excellent Food, Well Prepared”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

My daughter and her boyfriend took my spouse and I to Zeus for my birthday. We walked there from her nearby apartment because finding a parking spot can be difficult in the neighborhood. The venue seemed underwhelming from the outside, but once inside we felt welcomed and the ambiance was great - albeit a little noisy.

We were shown a nice large booth that could seat six, so we had plenty of room to enjoy our meal. We brought wine with us and paid the $10 corkage fee. Well worth it since the wine list, while very nice, seemed a little pricey.

Our server walked us through the menu and specials and we chose to share a Caprese salad as an appetizer, ordering two for the four of us. Delicious! In addition to the mozzarella, tomato and balsamic vinegar, the salad came with some very tasty, thinly-sliced cucumbers. We loved it!

Each of us ordered a different main course. I had Filet Mignon - tender, flavorful and served with mashed potatoes and asparagus; both well-prepared. My spouse ordered Beef Medallions with similar sides. The medallions were very, very tender and delicious. My daughter had a home made pasta dish with a fine-tasting light, creamy tomato sauce. Both the pasta and the sauce were carefully prepared and delicious. My daughter's boyfriend ordered the paella. He raved about it. The seafood and rice were matched well and the taste was out of this world.

So, at Zeus, the food is excellent and you can bring your own favorite bottle of wine. That's a great combination.

If you're watching your budget, there are some entrees that are very affordable and there are appetizers you can turn into entrees at a reasonable price.

The service is fine, and it's friendly as you would expect in a local eatery.

We'd go back in a heartbeat and try other menu items now that we know Zeus is a great neighborhood-style restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
Richmond, Virginia
“expensive”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I have always liked this restaurant but feel it is too pricy. I had a vegetarian with me and they had trouble fixing something suitable for him. I got soft shell crabs and they were small but tasty.

Visited July 2013
Richmond
“My favorite”
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Standards, service and choices always delight! My choice for special occasions and weekend brunch. Never disappointed here, and that includes guests. Freshest local ingredients, and great combination of ingredients with beautiful presentations are a part of every dish. Don't pass up desserts - excellent seasonal choices along with sensational creme brulee and molten chocolate cakes!

• Visited May 2013