“Food is great but service is lackadaiscsal”
Review of McLeans Restaurant

McLeans Restaurant
Ranked #191 of 1,603 Restaurants in Richmond
Price range: US$0 - US$10
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Food is great but service is lackadaiscsal”
Reviewed 16 October 2012

I have always enjoyed my breakfasts at this joint when I come to down but the last 2 out of 3 experiences have not been good. I found hair in my omelette one time and next time, there was hair in my biscuits & gravy and the attitude from the server is Oh well and we'll take it off the bill. This is unacceptable and needs to be addressed by management because it is disgusting and a health code violation and another reviewer made the same comment about another health code violation by leaving the french fry bag near the fryer.

Last weekend, it took about 15-20 minutes for my order and I was sitting at the counter and the waitress told me to patiently wait for my food. I realize that it's not a fast food joint and like the Southern food but when someone next to you gets his food before I did and he ordered after me, that's unacceptable!

Like baseball, it's 3 strikes and you're out in my book so this place better start stepping up their game or they will lose a valuable out of town customer, who enjoys Southern food and spends some serious money on his visits!

• Visited October 2012

Powhatan, Virginia
“Always great comfort breakfast”
Reviewed 6 September 2012

This place has moved in the past couple of years to a bigger and more modern location but they kept all the great food and service. The waitresses are great and VERY attentive. When in the area I can't wait to hit McLeans for Breakfast and you should also.

• Visited September 2012
Richmond, Virginia
“Reminds Me of the Places I Ate While in College!”
Reviewed 17 February 2012

McLeans, is an old working class establishment on Broad St. Richmond.

It is reputed to have the biggest breakfast in town. And, I'm sure they do! It's funcky, old fashioned and attracts rich, poor, blue collar, retirees and college students. This is exactly my, kind of demographic for those times when I don't want fine dining. It provides great people watching.

The waitresses will talk to an old man like me and be nice to customers, becaue they are nice and they know that their clientile are 'regular' folks too. My daughter tells me that the late crowd comes for filling food after a night of drinking on the town. I can well believe that.

When you visit, think, cheap food, comforting food with a fair fairly high fat and chloesterol index in their Southern fare. Good, stuff, when you have a hankering for basic 'Momma Madein Her Own Kitchen' kind of food.

I ordered the porkchop in gravy, with blackeyed peas, a biscuit, decent cornmeal stuffing and stewed tomatoes as a daily special for $5.85. I added a beverage and fried fatback for a totally decadent crunch on my lunch plate for a few more pesos. My youngest daughter ordered a full breakfast plus a few add on's that she couldn't finish. What what was she thinking of ?:)

I paid very close attention to what other patrons were ordering. They had some big tuna melts, decent salads and Rueben sandwich's etc with sides for about 40% cost less than other nearby places charge for the same thing.

The place is always packed. People who visit McLeans, want and get value for their hard earned coin of the realm.

If I lived closer to McLeans, I'd become a regular and stop in 2-3 times each week. No kidding!

• Visited February 2012
Richmond, Virginia
“Not just a greasy spoon diner”
Reviewed 13 January 2011

I've only been for breakfast, but it's really great. It looks and feels like any other mom & pop diner, but the food is delicious, is served quickly, and is a fantastic value for the money. You'll get more food than you can possibly eat for $5. Love their biscuits!

• Visited November 2010
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good breakfast, good service, reasonable prices.”
Reviewed 13 April 2010

I live close to McLeans and I've gone there quite a few times. Whenever I have out-of-town visitors, I bring them to McLeans for breakfast. It's good breakfast food, reasonably priced, and you can't beat the friendliness of the waitstaff. It has a big menu. One thing I always notice is the wide variety of demographics represented by the customers there...young and old, black and white, t-shirts and Sunday suits. It's a very comfortable place. It's just recently become 100% non-smoking, which has made seating a lot easier. I have never been there for lunch. I don't understand why Tripadvisor described McLean's as "Californian"...I'd call it a Southern diner.