“Long wait - but worth it.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Topeka's Steakhouse & Saloon - CLOSED

Topeka's Steakhouse & Saloon
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: Steakhouse, American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Seating, Waitstaff
Richmond, Virginia
“Long wait - but worth it.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

Really long wait - like ridiculous [okay, it was probably a weekend night] - so we sat at the bar and talked to the locals. By the time we downed our brews, we weren't that hungry. The food was pretty good, but it arrived a little too quickly to think it was made for us.

Visited January 2012

Washington DC
“Big juicy steaks, bad menu because of unsustainable Chilean Sea Bass."”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

We tried Topeka's after a meeting at the Tuckahoe Library which is just behind the steak house. It had been years since I'd been there, but I remembered that they had fried pickles -- so I encouraged my group to try it again. Fried pickles were not on the regular menu, but they were a chalkboard special, thank goodness. They were crispy and delish -- juicy salty dill spears encased in a crunchy crust with a cool creamy ranch dipping sauce on the side. There could have been a few more on the plate for the price...

The rib-eye steak was perfectly cooked medium rare with warm red center and a delectably-seared, peppercorn-studded crust laced with a ribbon of juicy fat that was just enough to add flavor to the tender meat. It was accompanied by a gigantic baked sweet potato. Portions were huge so I shamelessly boxed up most of it to eat for lunch the next day.

My friend ordered the pork chops. There were about four chops on the plate, and they were battered, fried and drizzled with gravy. The chops were nestled with a fluffy mound of mashed potatoes with a lake of gravy cratered in the middle. Pure comfort food. She took most of hers home in a box too. She noted that mac and cheese was not worth the carbs and it looked that way to me too. They were served in a side dish, a school-lunch sized scoop of soggy macaroni with congealed white cheese. This sad little dish was deservedly left behind.

Our server was friendly, prompt and efficient, attentive to refills and check-backs.

Now here is my concern -- why does Topeka's have Chilean Sea Bass on the menu? This fish is near-extinction, it is harvested using bottom longlines, which damage the seafloor and lead to high rates of bycatch, meaning the death of seabirds, turtles and other nontarget species. Furthermore, this fish is high in mercury making it a less-than-healthy choice. Many chefs have already switched to other types of fish that are more sustainable and healthy. http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/eat-safe/chilean-sea-bass-overfishing-44110608

I would give Topeka's 4 stars but I am deducting two stars because of this menu item.

• Visited March 2012
Owens Cross Roads, Alabama
“Worth a visit - and a look at Richmond's Steakhouse”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

Topeka's has been around a long time. The lines to get in seem to be gone (our guess is the explosion of nearby newcomers and competition), but the food and service is still great. We have always liked Topeka's and whenever we go, we always leave thinking, "why don't we come here more often?" The burgers are excellent and the food is all around great, and the prices are reasonable. Service is usually great, too. What more could one ask?

• Visited December 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great Place for A Family Birthday Dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2010

We celebrated my Mom's birthday here, and everyone enjoyed it. The atmosphere was nice - western decor. Great food at reasonable prices. We had really good service. The desserts were simply delicious! I highly recommend this place! It was especially nice that the restaurant was roomy enough to accomodate a larger party with a wheelchair patron.

Richmond, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Should be named Topeka's Steakhouse and Spittoon!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2010

Dreadful! The only thing worse than the ribeye (fatty, COLD, tasteless) and the salad (watery, not fresh) was the service. I took the advice of a coworker and took two clients - I was embarrassed by my choice. The consensus from my table was that the food (one steak, one salmon, one Prime Rib) was among the worst we had eaten in Richmond. Very disappointing. When I complained to management (Michael something or other), which I seldom do, he was rude, arrogant and, in short, a very poor representative of his company...completely classless and unapologetic. It is quite evident he is in the wrong business. Sad.

1 Thank JAB6210