“food is excellent”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Food is excellent. I'm used to the experience which can be poor for some people. At peak hours (6pm to 830pm) the wait can be quite long, as in hour+ on Friday and Saturday. The maitre'd does not like to be asked about how long the wait is. You can only order multiple quantities of 4 entrees for large parties due to the small kitchen. Cash, check or american express only (one reason I got Amex). Yes the chalkboard can be hard to read.
If you get over the above, you will hopefully enjoy a very wonderful meal. Any of the pasta's are solid and affordable. The seafood is good as is the meat (love the duck) entrees. So everything. Not always mindblowing, but very consistent. I've been over half a dozen times and never disappointed in my meal. If you don't like it, surely someone will be happy to take your place.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I think it is part of their style. Awesome food but bad service. Food is quick and high quality but the wait staff has no TLC. It seems as if this is planned.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I travel often to Richmond on business and rely on our local contact for restaurant recommendations - he never disappoints but he outdid himself with his suggestion of Mama Zu's. I've now been twice in my last two visits, once for lunch and once for dinner. Don't be put off by the exterior of the building; you want marble and a cheap fountain go to Olive Garden, you want great Italian go to Mama Zu's. The food is great, the prices affordable (but only cash or AMEX?) and the service attentive. (According to the local press Bruce Springsteen ate here earlier in the year but I cannot find his trip advisor review.)

2  Thank JJBandCAB
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Ate there last night with all of our meals outstanding. I had the pork chops and they were the best I ever had. Large portions so I and the 3 others at our table took about half of our food for another meal. Always a wait to get in.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Hands down best restaurant in Richmond. New York would be proud to have it. The food is french and robust and great value. Not everyone will like the neighborhood or the "ambience". Also no decaf or light beer (we have our standards) and they only take cash and American Express. Reservations for 6 or more only.

1  Thank julesgarcia1