“A sleeper!”

Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Romantic, Groups
Good for: Romantic, Groups
Reviewed 13 January 2013 via mobile

In all my years living in Richmond and driving PAST Full Kee, I never knew what I was missing. The curb appeal and inside decor are nothing to write home about, but Full Kee is the real deal. You will always see Chinese diners there, and the menu is in mandarin and English. Fresh ingredients, great food...no fanfare.

2  Thank Linda T

Reviewed 26 December 2012

FEW restaurants open Christmas Day; family was hungry NOW, so we went where a place was open. This joint does "dim sum", would-be "servers" mumbling very little English push mosly-empty small carts around the dining area and offer items to diners at exhorbitant prices. Oh, and a LOT of it is REALLY GREASY. Wish ot was more digestible, especially at THOSE prices. A small dish with a coupe things that looked like tiny eggrolls cost over three dollars American. They were not eggrolls. Wish they had been. Then our check was writen wrong, and we were to be charged for things we did not receive. SO, very high prices for cruddy non-service with foul-tasting greasy simulated "food" - - Okay, we DID try to eat there before, and we thought it could not be thqt bad again, but it was worse this time. We got ripped off AND sick. FWIW, we DID see a few Asians in there getting what looked like good service; maybe they got good food as well. WE DID NOT.

Reviewed 28 November 2012

Very good food! no argument there! I have been going there for a very long time. Although I must say ever since they sat us near the cash register area, or near the roasted ducks and pigs, where could see the cooks smoking in the kitchen... we haven't gone as much.

They are so busy to let out their cooks on a smoke break, so the cooks smoke in the kitchen. I don't know how that could pass the health inspection. I have been going to chinese buffet (TAPANYAKI OR the other ones) lately, since they are affordable and we could eat as much as we want with desserts included. I'm not saying their cooks don't smoke in the kitchen but at least I don't see it.

1  Thank SillygirlP
Reviewed 20 September 2012

On the opposite side of the West End from the hot new "Peter Changs" is an old standby in the Richmond Chinese dining scene, the Full Kee. It is also opposite generally on the spice level.

As a Cantonese style place first and foremost, it is not as spicy as the Szechuan served by Chang. Full Kee has many familiar old-standbys that you would get at regular "chinese" restaurants, but they also have a number of more traditional Cantonese delicacies that may not suit some American palates - like crispy frog, jellyfish, duck blood, intestines, and pig's knuckles. Also most of the specials on the board are in Chinese characters. Not to worry though, the servers I have dealt with have spoken English.

For the most part I steer away from those, but I do love their roasted duck, and roast pork (Xa Xiu or Char Siu), both of which hang in a window case right near the entrance. And their shrimp rolls are miles from what most places would serve - they are almost all sweet shrimp inside, fried crispy on the outside, quite delicious without much filler.

Also, you can order some things off menu, for example, Prawns with Ginger and Scallions.

If you have a friend who maybe doesn't want "chinese food" They might like the crispy fried pork chop, which is really just a pork chop cut up, lightly coated then deep fried.

Also, on the weekends, they serve dim sum. I am also told they do this for lunch as well, but I have actually never been for lunch, since I don't get out for lunch often and it is not close to my office.

I think in the past they have gotten a bad rap for having some surly servers, but I haven't yet found that to be the case in my recent dealings (4 visits this year)
It is not the be all and end all for authentic Cantonese, this is not the place to bring your out of town from from NYC or San Fran to wow them, but it is the best we have in Richmond. Accordingly, it is not as cheap as you might find in a proper big city Chinatown, either.

Full Kee also has a restaurant in DC, and that website has the same menu that location in Richmond has, I cannot vouch for the prices however. All in all, I can hardly wait til my next visit.

Reviewed 28 February 2012

I just love this place. They have all the classic aspects of a Chinese restaurant you might find in New York City: the heated case containing whole roasted ducks, ribs or pork. All the classic menu items. the Dim Sum is exceptional and the variety is amazing. If you decide to go for Dim Sum, try to take at least four people so you can order a number of different things and get exposure to different foods. The spinach sauteed in garlic will knock your socks off. Highly recommended overall, although I can't say the atmosphere is exceptional. Great place for some high-quality Chinese takeout, too.