“Overpriced and small portions, Never again”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Frank's West Pizzeria Italian
Ranked #369 of 1,603 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Richmond, Virginia
“Overpriced and small portions, Never again”
Reviewed 17 May 2013

We've been there several times, never been very impressed but for some reason would every now and then give them another try. The portions are small, they do not put enough sauce on the pasta and if you want more (as I did) you are charged for a side dish! The food is average other than I have previously had good pizza there. The server on this night (I think she was part owner or family) was rather condescending and disinterested in our table. Last time for us.

• Visited June 2012

“Identity conflicts?”
Reviewed 13 January 2013

When I go into a non-chain restaurant, I am eager to like it & give it a bit of latitude. It's a tough business in a world of corporately owned establishments, and Richmonders are lucky to have so many family-owned restaurants. I do not dislike Frank's West, but I think they aspire to be something they are not, and their prices reflect that.
The quality of the menu items I've sampled from Frank's West has ranged from good to very good. Most recently, I ordered Veal Saltimbocca, and left somewhat disappointed. The salad was acceptable as was the entree, but the portions were on the small side for the price. I have not had an entree that wowed me at Frank's, but they make a darned good pizza. This is a restaurant in an aging shopping center surrounded by average neighborhoods. By day, I understand, sandwiches are available, but not at dinner. The desire for a Cinderella transformation from casual to upscale when night falls does not work.
We have also ordered pizzas to carry out, and although they are quite good, at $50+ for two pizzas (with toppings) that we have to fetch ourselves, it's not a great value. I think Frank's West would do better for itself & customers if they came down to earth - both on prices and accepting their niche. There's great potential here to be a well-loved neighborhood restaurant.

• Visited January 2013
Richmond, Virginia
“Friday night movie & a meal”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We had the spinache manacotti with vodka sauce and it was incredible. Franks pizza is wonderful as well. We recently went to the mountains for a long weekend and took the Frank special pie with us. Give it a try - we did and was extremely pleased!

• Visited October 2012
Cape Canaveral, Florida
“NIce atmosphere average Italian food”
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Nestled in a shopping center complex is a well decorated nice atmosphere restaurant. The waiter was professional and courteous, well informed, and attentive. My boyfriend had the spaghetti and meatballs which was a bit bland. The sauce was uneventful and reminded us of "jar" sauce. I had the shrimp scampi which was flavorful and the shrimp were large but a bit overcooked. My boyfriend's sister had the veal which had the same bland sauce.

It's a overpriced for the food though they try making up for the lack of taste by giving you plenty of food. We did notice that many people came in to pick up pizzas...maybe we will try that out since their dinners weren't worth the 20 dollars a plate.

• Visited July 2012
Virginia
“Can you say never again? And I live close by.”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

3rd strike.--2 times before have not been good experiences but for some reason my husband says...oh lets try it again. If I could give it a negative one I would. Okay first off the food is decent enough but not worth the wait. I actually felt even worse for the family that sat next to us. They also had 2 young kids, but also their older parents and a few other relatives. They were seated before us and their food arrived after ours and they ONLY ORDERED PIZZA. We ordered 3 entrees and a large cheese (no other toppings) pizza. What I did notice was that there were a lot of to go orders coming in through the phone. Guess who got their pizza's before us and the other table? We were there from 7:30 p.m. and didn't get our pizza till about 15 minutes before 9 p.m. I kept trying to give their other family a few slices for their kids. Thank g-d both tables had iphones to try and ward off any starving kid meltdowns.
Also: 1 glass of red wine was $13 and it was an average wine...don't even pay that at nice sitdowns without kids
Our bill for 3 entrees, 1 plain cheese pizza, 2 apple juices, 2 redwines was $110.00!

• Visited March 2012