“Shockingly rude service over "seared tuna"”
Review of Acacia Restaurant

Acacia Restaurant
Ranked #179 of 1,607 Restaurants in Richmond
Price range: US$50 - US$50
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Richmond, Virginia
“Shockingly rude service over "seared tuna"”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

After last night's dining experience, no one in our party of 7 will EVER darken the door of Acacia again. Out to celebrate my mother's birthday, our party consisted of 5 people in our fifties, the 86-year old birthday honoree, and my 90 year old father.

Seeing that her "seared tuna" was too raw for her liking, my sister politely asked a waitress if the tuna could be cooked more. The waitress (who we later discovered is the owner!) bluntly refused, saying the dish was prepared perfectly and could not be changed. The owner offered no apology and no remedy, such as the chance for my sister to make a different selection. Later, we politely asked a different waitress to have the tuna cooked more and got the same response, even worded the same way. When it came time for the bill, we politely asked that they take off the charge for the untouched tuna dish. They refused to take off the charge, even when we asked again. No one EVER apologized, not even to say they were sorry the tuna dish was not what she had expected. The charge for the tuna was $10 on a total bill of close to $400! For the first time in any of our lives, we left $0 tip.

I see that another reviewer calls the servers "not accommodating". Grant's "Olive Oil Incident" leads me to believe this is an unfortunate trend with Acacia. What a shame....The food is pretty good, but we will NOT return and will discourage others from patronizing such a non-customer oriented place.

• Visited December 2013
4 Thank Lisa C

Colonial Heights, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Raves Are Greatly Warranted”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I'd visited Acacia with a fellow organist from our church about two years ago and enjoyed the best meal I'd ever had in Richmond. When family members came from many points along the east coast this Thanksgiving, I decided it would be a great treat to visit Acacia again with a party of ten. I was a bit worried after having read some negative reviews this afternoon and wondered whether this restaurant had gone downhill. However, tonight, in our two hours at Acacia, we all found our meals to be top drawer--some of the best steaks we've ever had and the crab cakes simply in a terrific league of their own. Our server, Lauren, was very personable without being cloying, and she was very patient in explaining all of our menu questions. Service was timely and everyone at Acacia proved to be friendly and helpful. The music was not too loud at all, as complained about in some earlier reviews. And we had no problem with having our appetizer and main course selections ready to order at the same time, which, for some odd reason, previous reviewers found to be problematical. It made sense to us that the chef prefers knowing appetizer and main course selections in order to time everything so that the table is served appetizers ready for the entire party at the same time, with the main courses following in a very timely manner, all ready for the entire party at the same time. I should rave most of all about the food at Acacia: it is wonderfully seasoned with highly interesting combinations of flavors, but never over-seasoned with seasonings that prevent one from enjoying the primary flavor of a dish, whether beef, fish, or shellfish. We had a party of ten, as stated above, and we enjoyed appetizers, wine and other adult beverages, main courses of all types, desserts for most of us, and coffee and our bill was just over $500.00, including tax and excluding the tip. I will return to Acacia again, eagerly. Oh, and I should mention that one in our party is a talented chef from NYC, and she was very impressed with Acacia. Again, many thanks to Lauren, who helped us with our order and greatly contributed to this enjoyable evening.

“Rude service”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We will most likely never go back to acacia again....on our visit we tried to order an appetizer while we looked at the menu for dinner and were told no, we had to order everything at one time! They certainly didn't mind taking our order for an expensive bottle of wine! To be told "no" so bluntly right after we sat down really started the meal off badly. Not accommodating is my description and there are too many other good dining choices to patronize this restaurant.

Visited September 2013
6 Thank Hunterwfisher
Richmond, Virginia
“The "Olive Oil Incident"”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I've never reviewed a restaurant online before which is a bit surprising, given the number of restaurants I've patronized during my travels, but a recent experience at Acacia warranted a written response. In brief, I want to comment on the unbelievable response my dining partner and I received when we asked for olive oil to be served with our bread. We dined at the bar, ordering drinks and three appetizers. When my partner requested olive oil with the order of bread, her request was flatly denied, as the bartender simply stated, "we don't serve olive oil with our bread". After a minute or two of confusion, we inquired as to why we couldn't have oil with our bread, as it is a listed ingredient on some of their menu items so clearly they had it. The bartender's response was, "because we serve butter with our bread". We then replied, "we'd like to have oil with the bread, can you do that"? The bartender then stunned both of us by asking, "why, are you allergic to butter"?....as if our personal medical information or our preferences are any of his business. My dining partner stammered a bit and said, "well, I don't think butter is as good for me, it's fattening and I prefer butter". His final comment was the same - "We serve butter, not oil, with our bread". To say the least, the arrogance and lack of customer service displayed by this staff person stunned us and dampered our entire experience. A call to the manager the next day resulted in basically the same response - no apology for the bartender's behavior. I believe the person who I spoke with the next day may have been the same bartender. A logical, polite explanation and apology for the bartender's behavior would have taken care of it all. For the record, I have dined at Acacia several times in the past and the experience has been positive. I conduct alot of business in Richmond over lunch and dinner, and it is likely I will have to return to Acacia at some point, but I will never willingly choose Acacia again.

Grant Grayson - Richmond, VA

7 Thank Grant G
“Over rated”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

4 in party for dinner this evening, Sat night, out of Vodka, drink of evening according to waiter, poor planning by management, no excuses at these prices. Service fair, Food was mediocre at best, was significantly better in old location. Acoustics, lets just say a Stones concert is quieter. I maybe overly critical, however I travel extensively both domestic and Int, eat out often as well as have an very good friend who is a food reviewer in Las Vegas. I PAY ATTENTION to the details for service, food ambiance. Upon leaving I replied to the Hostess comment about my evening and she pushed me out the door after my response. Very unprofessional, will call Manager during week. Will not return and will not refer.

1 Thank gary s