“Visit Mezzanine Instead”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 24 June 2014

There is no doubt the food here is excellent - 5 stars. However, the service is some of the worst I've ever experienced.

Our group of 3 was the first to arrive on a Monday evening for a birthday dinner and the staff was completely apathetic towards our arrival. Without going into all transgressions that occurred (mostly resulting from an air of arrogance) - I just wanted to just share the zinger. When our entrees were delivered, one was incorrect - snapper instead of mahi. When we couldn't find our waitress, a different waiter took the snapper back. 10 minutes later, the snapper arrived again!! After finding our waitress, she took the snapper back to return with the correct entree - 10 minutes after the rest of our party had all finished eating. I understand that things happen but absolutely no apology was offered, let alone anything comp'd from the bill. As a former waitress I was astonished.

Food alone does not make a restaurant and apparently Acacia is not interested in their customers' experience. For a nice evening out, visit Mezzanine, Pomegrantae or Dutch & Co. instead....excellent food at all and they'll be thrilled to see you.

2  Thank AmyinRVA
There are newer reviews for Acacia Restaurant

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We had a terrific client dinner last night . This was chosen by our client who lives and works in Richmond. The restaurant and bar had a nice, easy going, professional atmosphere.

There were four of us and all thoroughly enjoyed our evening. We enjoyed some fun beers, a little Bombay, and some nice Cabernet. Our entrees were scallops and crab cakes ... Both of which were just fantastic, light and delicious.

Service was good, but slow at times and a little forgetful. Personality was not up to par. For instance we wanted to order appetizers first and then decide on our meal choices. Well that was not allowed as the chef required everything be ordered at once . Really? It was very arrogant and not normal. I have eaten at a lot of great places all over the world and I have never been told I couldn't order an appetizer. Really?

We had a great evening and I will go back ... But they could do much better if the customer was the focus and not the chef's quirks.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Always go there for the soft-shell crabs when they come in. NEVER disappointed. Always great service from a very knowledgeable staff. Only advisory comment ...get some better background dinner music. Steal a soundtrack from Can-Can.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Food is good, sometimes very good, but not so good that we'll shout our way through meals. I know by turning up the music you decrease the number of loiterers and can turn tables faster, but I'll go to other restaurants where the food is equally good and I can also hear the conversation at the table.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

My husband and I were ending our vacation in Richmond and really looking forward to our last great meal. Acacia was very hip, but extremely noisy. Our Pinot Noir was pricey but delicious. My husband's smoked bluefish appetizer was very good, but my nectarine salad was almost entirely lacking in dressing - what little there was being tasteless. Our main courses, crabcakes and scallops, were delicious. But there were only four dessert selections, one of those being a cheese plate, and the "apple pie" we selected turned out to be deep fried fritters that were really very bad. Reminiscent of those served at McDonald's, except not as flavorful and more greasy than the McDonald's version, if that can be believed. When we complained to the waitress she immediately offered her opinion that, yes, they were awful. Too bad she didn't share that when we ordered them! When we complained again to the management, we were told that these were among their favorite offerings (not hard when you have such a short dessert list) and no offer was made to adjust our bill. We had two wonderful meals, including fantastic desserts, at Julep's and Che Foushee while in Richmond and would recommend those establishments without reservation. We'd skip Acacia!