“very disappointing and overrated”

Angela's Ristorante & Pizzeria
Ranked #282 of 1,612 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Richmond, Virginia
“very disappointing and overrated”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

What with all the glorious reviews we'd read, I took my son and my fiance for dinner here last week. It's been several years since my last foray here because i'd been stung earlier when i ordered a special and was shocked to learn, when the bill finally arrived, that it was 20% higher than all other menu items. I admonished the waitress of her responsibility to announce the prices before ordering , and i'm told they still don't do so.
This is a rather costly restaurant, so you should expect the service and fare to be exceptional, but unfortunately, neither are. Upon arrival, there was no greeter, and we were told to feel free and find a seat. When our waitress brought us bottles of Pellegrino and glasses, she never poured. When appetizers were brought, there were no plates furnished, so we used our bread plates. And when appetizers were finished, the waitress didn't clear the dishes,instead bringing entrees to an already crowded table. The calamari was woefully overfried and the mushroom caps had limited crabmeat and were soggy with cheese. my side dish of spaghetti arrived stone cold. My finance's shrimp scampi was seriously over-seasoned with pepper, and my veal francesa arrived under a plate of mushrooms, but alas was never traditionally prepared with egg, lemon, etc.The kitchen is open to view, and we saw the staff preparing salads barehanded. I must report that myson enjoyed his veal parm. That's one out of three. I can't recommend those odds to others. . .

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank marsh m

Boynton Beach, Florida
“One of the best italian restaurants in Richmond”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

This is a family owned business, is small and you might have to wait, BUT IS WELL WORTH IT. I have tried the Veal Piccatta and it will melt in your mouth, you can taste the actual love that the chef puts on this dish...YUMMY

Visited November 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
“Great food but check your bill carefully!”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Had dinner recently at Angela's with colleagues from work. We asked for separate checks and the waitress said we could tell the cashier what we had and could each pay for what we ate. At the end of the meal, the waitress took the bill to the cashier (owner's wife I think) and we could each pay as we left. I was the next to last person to pay and i told the cashier what I had (entree at 26.95 and two drinks) and said my total was $49.54. I asked the price of the drinks and they were $8.00 each and I then asked what she charged for the entree and she said 30.95. I asked why and she said the portions were larger that night. I kept pushing this and the cashier gave me $4.00 back. This was sneaky and underhanded and I do not plan to return. I have never had a restaurant try to charge me more for an entree than the price listed on the menu. Check your bill carefully if you go here!

Visited February 2014
4 Thank Fred861
Earlysville, Virginia
“Great food, quality service and a quiet setting.”
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Much better than any chain restaurant. A long-established locally-owned and operated Italian restaurant with a varied well-priced menu. Excellent sauces and salads. Friendly wait staff. Angela's offers a quiet inviting cozy atmosphere. First time we've tried it and we will be returning. Recommend it.

Visited February 2014
Richmond, Virginia, USA
“Great variety”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Excellent restaurant with a huge menu. Despite the numerous items, the fish is always fresh. The portions are huge, so be prepared to take home your leftovers for lunch the next day.

Visited December 2013