“Just not the best Vietnamese in RIC”

Vietnam Garden Restaurant
Ranked #304 of 1,640 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I've been a couple times to give it a chance but just wasn't impressed. I've had some very good Vietnamese in RIC and this restaurant just doesn't cut it.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

My wife and I eat here almost every Friday night. After a hard week working we both enjoy "Date Night". I travel all the time for work and eat in Vietnames resturants in Northern Va, Va. Beach and all over the state. If it's Vietnames I've had it. None compare to Vietname Garden. The BBQ soft spring rolls are the best and always fresh. I have also had the Yellow Pancake and it's great. The lady chef (husband & wife own the place) has a way with BBQ and everything she cooks. My favorite dish is the Vietnam Special Soup #1. It comes with pork, fish balls, shrimp and white meat chicken. The broth is rich and flavorful and the clear noodles taste great. You get a nice dish of sprouts and THi Basil with it and Hot peppers if you like.

I hate to say it but I have tried every pho joint in richmond and most are good, few are great and Vietname Garden is hands down the best. If your going to spend $25-30 bucks on dinner for 2, this is the place. I have never, ever had a bad dinner.

BTW the wait staff is great, always attendtive and since we visit so often they know what we want when we walk in the door. We have branched out and tried the Veggie Menu (Excellent) and the grill BBQ plates are so good but the Soup is what I love and I always seem to get it.

Go, enjoy and you will be happy you tried it.

Reviewed 15 February 2013

We decided on Vietnam Garden for a Valentine's dinner. My wife had gotten take-out a few weeks ago. We decided to try eating dinner there. They have a good selection of dishes even for vegetarians. We ordered from the lunch menu - an entree, spring roll, and soup for one price. The soup was filled with veggies and very good. The spring roll was tasty and crunchy. The entrees were tasty and large enough that we brought home some for dinner. The fried banana was okay. It was a nice meal and we will be returning when we are on that side on town.

Reviewed 17 January 2013

The restaurant was light, airy, clean and well appointed. The staff was friendly, helpful and attentive. The food was very good, especially the soup on a cold day. Well located and easy to get to, the place is well worth the visit. I will go back.

Reviewed 25 December 2012

We usually go once a year to this restaurant with a group of friends. Last year I ordered a seafood dish and was very specific, requesting for it not to be spicy, since I don't eat spicy foods. It came super spicy, even my friends that eat spicy foods said so, when they tasted it. This year I ordered vegetarian spring rolls. they were very salty, almost uneatable. I ordered shrimp in a sugar cane stick. Instead of real shrimp, they were grounded and fried and tasted like sausage. they were quite disgusting.
The other members of my family ordered all different dishes. They were sort of OK but nothing to rave about.