“Just o.k. It didn't really "wow" me.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of New York Deli

New York Deli
Ranked #193 of 1,602 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American, Bar, Delicatessen, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Stafford, Virginia
“Just o.k. It didn't really "wow" me.”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

New York Deli. The name makes it sound like a place you'll walk into and discover awesome breads, great desserts, maybe some spicy or exotic ingredients etc.

Nope. Just average fare, nothing that really stood out or would make me come back. Believe me, I had scoped NYD out before and I was hungry, having just done a two hour bike ride.

The bartender recommended a few options, and I took her advice and ordered The Holly (Roast beef, turkey, bacon, pickles, cheddar, lettuce, tomato, onion and mayonnaise served hot or cold on a hero roll). The ingredients sounded interesting but somehow it just seemed like a plain old sandwich. The fries (freedom or french, whichever you prefer to call them) came with the meal and were also unremarkable.

One of the more favorable things about my experience was the price. Even though the sandwich was just o.k., it rang in at an affordable $9.75 - pretty close to what you pay at Subway these days.

The service was great - I guess other reviewers haven't had the best luck with service but I had no problems.

They have a nice bar and a wide array of scotches if that is your thing - I happen to think scotch is disgusting. There are plenty of nice beers on tap, about $5 each. Lots of folks were there for dinner, and lots of folks stopping in for a drink. It was a nice, diverse crowd.

With so many other interesting and delicious options in Carytown (in particular Greek Cuisine) I kindly suggest you keep on, keeping on!

• Visited December 2013

Glen Allen, Virginia
“A far cry from NYC”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stopped for breakfast on a Sunday morning. Service was fine but the food not so much. Ordered the Migas Cuadros (Mexican egg casserole) and the Big Breakfast. The casserole was more like over cooked scrambled eggs topped with wedges of tortillas that had been baked on, not appetizing at all. Sent it back but didn't order anything else since my husband's Big Breakfast came with very lumpy grits, over well eggs (ordered over easy), a pile of rubbery bacon (ordered it well done), and an overtoasted bagel. How can one kitchen mess up all the items we ordered. Will not be back.

• Visited November 2013
New Jersey
“Good food at reasonable prices”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Have eaten here twice with family. A lively place on vibrant Cary Street. Ice cold beer and a nice selection of sandwiches and dishes, most with a slight twist that is pleasing. Service is average, but overall you can't go wrong here.

• Visited September 2013
Richmond, Virginia
“It could have been worse.”
Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

We frequent New York Deli in Carytown once or twice a month. The food is good (we have favorites) and usually the service is very good. Today was different. The service was horrible.

It is rare for me to call out a server but, Justin was busy with the rest of his life, not his customers. He was slow taking our order (15 minutes) and only refilled our glasses when we asked (they went completely empty for 10 minutes). While waiting on at least three other tables, he sat down with another patron to explore other work opportunities. Not smart. The finale was waiting over 15 minutes for our check, even after asking.

Enter Hanna. Hanna appeared to be an expediter, not a server. This young lady stepped in to make the experience as good as it could be, after what we encountered. Kudos and the tip to Hanna.

If NYD was at the top of their game, the manager would have been there during lunch rush on a Saturday. No such luck.

Guys, you have been around a very long time. Please start getting thigs right.

Visited August 2013
Richmond, Virginia
“new York Deli”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Had dinner last night at NY Deli...haven't been there since it was remodeled. Enjoyed the new look. Great Reuben sandwich and a fine waitress who took excellent care of our party of 6.

• Visited July 2013