“food, drinks, cigars, desserts”
Review of Havana 59

Havana 59
Reserve with OpenTable
Havana 59 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #112 of 1,643 Restaurants in Richmond
Price range: US$5 - US$38
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Cuban
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Main Street
Transit: One block south at Main/N 17th St and two blocks north at E Broad/N17th St
Description: Havana ’59 has been a staple in Richmond’s Shockoe Bottom District since its opening in 1995. We are proud of the community we have served for 22 years and the loyalty and longevity they have provided us, as demonstrated by our 2017 OpenTable Diner’s Choice Award. We invite you to step back in time to the tradition of excess in 1950’s Havana, when the island city was known as the “Paris of the Caribbean.” The combination of tradition and indulgence cultivates a casual yet elegant atmosphere where the string lights, enormous open windows, crumbling plaster walls, palm trees, and aroma of fine cigars envelope you as you relax and enjoy the tantalizing delights of a bygone era. We proudly offer our guests an unforgettable culinary and cocktail experience delivered with exceptional service, from the fresh juices we press in house for our cocktails, to the locally sourced ingredients utilized in our scratch kitchen.
Reviewed 22 June 2014

we had appetizers here and pear mojitos, both excellent. the appetizer menu is varied and all are delicious. you can enjoy a cigar after your meal and not annoy your fellow diners. the place is airy and open. don't forget dessert!

Mark P, General Manager at Havana 59, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Hello Rogerwilco123,

We appreciate the kind review and are thrilled that you enjoyed the drinks, appetizers and desserts. Did you get a chance to smoke one of our many cigars yet? And how about eat dinner?
We thank you for being a guest and hope to serve you again soon!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Havana 59 is a fun spot. I ate there twice during my stay in Richmond. Both meals were excellent. I had one of the chef's specials each time. One was an aged steak and the other was duck. Both were great. The bar is a fun scene as well. But you'd better like or tolerate cigars as most people are smoking them. On a plus note, the bar is very well ventilated and there is not a cloud of smoke hanging around. On Thursday night, they had Salsa dancing lessons on the upstairs patio. Great people watching and great food.

Mark P, General Manager at Havana 59, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Hello Rogerwilco123,

We wanted to say "thanks" for the great review and are glad you got to experience our food, service and ambiance. Is our Chef not amazing with what he can do with food? Thanks for noticing the efforts we have made in having a virtually smoke-free cigar lounge. Salsa dancing happens each and every Thursday. Be sure to plan your next trip to take advantage of a great time dancing on our outdoor patio's. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Last ate here about 13 years ago BC (before children)! Were passing through and made special stop for dinner. Everything was tasty. The mango mojito and sangria, the Cuban nachos (fried plantains with beef and black beans and toppings), the sampler platter with Ropa Vieja and more. Sat on roof last time, which is still neat memory. This time, sat inside, so not as cool an atmosphere, but still a fun and delicious experience ... Again.

Mark P, General Manager at Havana 59, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Hello TwinMominSC,

We are so glad you made an effort to stop at Havana '59 for dinner. It's great to see that you still enjoyed our food and adult beverages. Sorry that you couldn't get upstairs but we do host a lot of private events up there, such as the one on Saturday night. Please come back and visit again when in the Richmond area. Thanks!

Reviewed 12 June 2014

My daughter was visiting from Asheville NC last week. She is very involved with Salsa dancing at the Loft Hotel there and wanted to take us to experience the salsa dancing at Havana 59. We went early to get dinner and drinks before the dancing started. I used to live in Venezuela and I loved the dish called Pavillion which consisted of Ropa Vieja, (shredded beef), rice, black beans and plantains,
The restaurant was really cool..its decor makes it look and feel like you are in Cuba. We ordered Mojitos and the equivalent of "pavillion". Everything tasted so delicious! I loved the mango mojito my daughter and I got and the original mojito my boyfriend got. The ropa vieja was just like Venezuela's and after tasting it my boyfriend wished he had taken my suggestion and ordered it as well.
After dinner we paid the small cover charge and enjoyed the salsa dancing. It was so much fun and I think we danced to the wee hours of the morning...after all the good food and drinks I can't remember what time we left!
All I can say is I am so happy we went there and I can't wait to go back again.

Mark P, General Manager at Havana 59, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Hello Oceanrunninggirl<

We are so pleased that you enjoyed our food, drinks and ambiance. Chef Rubey puts a special emphasis on our Ropa Vieja and it sure shows in the taste. Our whole concept with our food and drink is based on fresh, quality ingredients. And then comes the Salsa. As you found out, what a great time! And if you don't know how, we offer a complimentary lesson each Thursday at 8:00pm.
We hope you will come visit again soon and enjoy all that Havana '59 has to offer. Gracias!

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I always go here for happy hour for the $4 pork morsels & calamari, white sangria & mojito! They also have specials for wine & beer. The top floor bar is beautiful to sit and hang out. Downstairs at the bar you feel like you're really somewhere in Cuba enjoying fresh drinks instead of the middle of a busy city. Great atmosphere! Never ate dinner here though because its expensive.

Hello KKeith,

We are so glad you enjoy our Happy Hour Specials and have found "The Secret in the Bottom, The Top of Havana!" We invite you to come have dinner with us. On Monday, our Taste of Habana sampler plate is only $10 and on Saturday enjoy our Early Bird Special. You get one entree 50% off for each entree ordered at full price with the purchase of any two beverages. But you must order prior to 6:30 pm. So come join us soon! Thanks so much.