“An Evening of Specials at Tastebuds American Bistro” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Waitstaff
Richmond, Virginia
“An Evening of Specials at Tastebuds American Bistro”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

Yes, Tastebuds American Bistro is still my favorite dining spot in RVA. Hubby and I look forward to the weekly email listing the specials for the weekend. We then email each other to indicate we must eat there this weekend. We try to make reservations on Open Table and sometimes will leave a message. These guys ALWAYS read the messages. On this occasion I just stated "Yeah veal." We were set to dine on a Saturday. About an hour before dinner, we receive a call from Valentina making sure I still wanted veal. They had an early run of veal orders and wanted to make sure they reserved an order for me. Talk about customer service.

And Andrew and Valentina do not reserve their customer service just for me and hubby. Take the wine we enjoyed on this trip - MacRostie Pinot Noir. Tastebuds American Bistro regularly hosts a table of four who always orders a pinot noir. Andrew ensures that pinot noir is on his list, but not just any run-of-the-mill stuff. He wants the pricing to be reasonable, while introducing the regulars to an expanded palate of the grape nectar. Hubby and I reap the benefits. It's all good. And despite my usual aversion to California pinots, I thoroughly enjoyed this one. It had enough punch for me and a lingering cherry essence. I can be such a sucker for cherriness in a wine.

For dinner we started with a Shrimp Saganaki with fresh tomato, feta, and a touch of ouzo. What a great dish. Tons of flavor. The licoriceness of the ouzo really made this dish special. We had to request extra rolls to sop up all of the feta and tomato sauce.

And, indeed, I had veal scallopini with fresh fig sauce and a green peppercorn-lemon risotto cake. Tastebuds has delicious veal and I love if when the fresh figs arrive and they utilize them in different ways. The fig sauce was delightful and different. The risotto cake featured a refreshing lemon accent. Lovely fruits of the summer.

Hubby selected seared scallops with pancetta cracklings and housemade wide fettucine. He greatly enjoyed his meal. The generous portion of pancetta crackling was particularly appreciated.

We also enjoy eating here because not only are Andrew and Valentina a wonderful and welcoming couple, but the rest of the staff also makes our experience special. Currently, James, Leanne, and Greg all say hello; ask us about our day; and other places we have eaten at lately. They understand we are here to enjoy the food, but to also relax and take a slow approach to dinner. This combination of good food and good staff along with the fortunate walking distance location keep us coming back time and again.

• Visited August 2013

Beckley, West Virginia, United States
“average nouvelle american”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

Located in a mixed residential commercial neighborhood across from a couple of low income apartment buildings, down the street from a garage. Parking was difficult.

The restaurant itself was small, spartan but stylish, and very loud. It took 20 minutes to get our order taken, another 30 to get our food. We started by splitting the eggplant appetizer - fried, in tomato sauce. Tasty, but nothing special. I had the veal special and my wife had the soft shell crab special. Both were palatable but unremarkable, and the veal was particularly salty. We had the red velvet bread pudding and the carrot cake for dessert - again, palatable but unremarkable.

A reasonable restaurant if you are in the neighborhood but not one we would make a point to return to.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Richmond
“A quaint gem in Northside Richmond”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

Recently we visited Taste Buds - An American Bistro for the first but certainly not the last time. The food and service were both excellent. Golden beet salad, and pizza with pears for me. Beef and shrimp combo with peanut sauce for my wife. Both meals were outstanding. Crab stuffed shrimp for my daughter, and a huge burger for her fiance rounded out the package. Generous portions and reasonably priced.

The delicious and complementary carrot cake for my daughter's birthday celebration completed a wonderful evening.

Nothing fancy and somewhat off the beaten track this quaint establishment is a gem. Do yourself a favor and check out Taste Buds - An American Bistro.

John E Hart
Richmond, Va

• Visited March 2013
Virginia
“Worth a trip off the beaten path”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

My 1st brunch visit, it easily equalled the excellent dinner we enjoyed a few months ago. Despite being completely booked and having an extra guest above our reservation, they graciously offered to move us to a more comfortable window table. Hardest part was deciding what to order, each of us made a different selection and all of us were very pleased. My butternut squash crepes were a delicious combination of flavors, light texture and marvelous taste. Others sampled the short ribs, potato cakes w/salmon, and more standard breakfast fare of eggs, hash and bacon. Absolutely no complaints! the service was excellent, despite being filled to capacity. They even moved us to a larger - and more ideally situated - table to accomodate an extra person (above our reservation).
Kudo's for a wonderful dining experience!

• Visited March 2013
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Great Litttle Place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

Went during Richmond's Restaurant Week and had a great meal! the Gratin was beyond words! Haven't had a chance to make it back to tastebuds but I will in the near future!

• Visited September 2012