“Hibachi Cooking, Fun & Delish”

Kabuto Japanese House of Steak
Ranked #603 of 1,647 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Japanese, Steakhouse
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 December 2013

This is a great place to eat. Wednesday nights is Ladies night, meaning 1/2 off entrees for the ladies. Great place for a girls night out. Menu is online. The talented chefs prepare the meals in front of you on a large cooking surface. Along with a comedy routine. Fun for all. The food is piping hot fresh off the grill and onto your plates. Shrimp, beef and chicken entrees are all good. Even if you are only one couple they will seat you with other couples and you get to meet a lot of nice people. For an enjoyable night or lunch, you should visit Kabutos. I'm not a sushi person, so I can't comment on that.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

My family and I ate dinner there tonight. The food was okay, but the prices of your food is too expensive! Why do you charge extra money for fried rice it should come with my meal at no extra charge when I am already paying more than $20.00 per plate of food. It added $16.00 to our bill. The food portion was not enough either. This is the first time that I nor my daughters have not had extra food to take home. The only two good things I have good to say about my experience is that my scallops were cooked perfectly and our waitress was great. I will be passing this info on to my friends because I would not want them to be disappointed too.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

My wife and I used to come here fairly frequently, but we hadn't been in a while. It has changed a lot, and sadly not for the better. They seem intent on nickel and diming customers now. The prices were high before, but they have gone up even higher. Meanwhile, the quantity of food you get has gone down. Even more incredibly, they are charging you extra if you want fried rice with your meal! That's always been a basic staple of hibachi grill style Japanese restaurants. The food wasn't especially good, either. It was very salty and unimpressive. The chef was quite talented as a showman, but not especially friendly. The waitress was extremely nice and helpful, and probably represented the highlight of our trip. We will not be coming back due to the decline in quality and the increase in price and stinginess.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

We were looking forward to having a fun meal while visiting our son, daughter-in-law and grandkids. Our son wanted to go here as he had heard good things about it. We often eat in Japanese restaurants because they are generally healthier. This was a disaster. The chef overcooked everything except the shrimp. Steak was tough and so was the chicken! How can you screw up chicken? Very stingy on the vegetables as well.
He also gave everyone a ton of rice, so much that it was the main portion of the meal. Less rice, more veggies would have been better. Everything was oversalted. He was more interested in showing off his tricks than cooking.
There are better restaurants out there. Don't waste your time or money on this one.

1  Thank songbirdnaples
Reviewed 13 August 2013

My husband took me here on a date, and the steak and shrimp was amazing. You have to try the filet mignon, and shrimp combination. It's more than enough food, and very filling. The wait wasn't long at all, and we went on a Saturday at about 7pm with no reservation. We were seated within 15 minutes. I will say it was kinda expensive. My combination alone was 28.00 and my husband got the same thing. It comes with soup, salad, and hot tea. We did have a groupon so that helped. I definitely recommend this restaurant. Very entertaining and fun.

Been to Kabuto Japanese House of Steak? Share your experiences!