“For the Greek food lover or this is the real deal in Richmond”
Review of Athens Tavern - CLOSED

Athens Tavern
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Menlo Park, California
“For the Greek food lover or this is the real deal in Richmond”
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Athen's Tavern is a place that is a little deceiving. It looks like it could be easily passed by,though a bit intriguing when passing by and all the tables are full.

The menu is classic greek from the best spanikopita to mousaka or arnaki that bring you back to try more. Don't skip hearing the nightly specials or trying the flaming greek cheese or 'saganaki'. And anything with the feta imported from Greece, as of the last time I was in.

They have a classic selection of greek wines from naoussa to retsina, greek beer, and enough ouzo to swim a very small horse.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Hunter L

Richmond, Virginia
“An Old Standby”
Reviewed 24 November 2012

I've been going to Athens Tavern occasionally for many years, and I can remember a time when they had shag carpeting on the walls. Fortunately, that has been corrected. The Athens is a place where you will find reliably consistent good food - not great in my opinion, but good.
This is my favorite place to get avgolemono soup. It is full of chicken in a good broth. I've had this soup in other restaurants with too much thickener & it was more like porridge than soup. On my last trip to Athens Tavern, the avgolemono could have been more lemony, but it was still a good choice on a chilly night.
Menu choices range from pastas to souvlaki to other traditional Greek dishes. The quality is good. Items are fairly priced for most choices on the menu. Salads are decent, and are included with many entrees. There are several lamb options, which is always nice to see on a menu. The bread is acceptable, but not outstanding. All in all, you will not be disappointed but you may not say "Wow!"
Athens Tavern is located on a busy cross-street in the upper Fan. Finding a place to park can be a challenge if you do not live in the neighborhood. The restaurant has a small storefront entrance which is not well-lit, and was difficult to find for a couple in our party who were first-timers. Overall, this place is worth a try. It's a friendly neighborhood place where you will feel welcome.

• Visited November 2012
Austin, Texas
“Delicious and Quick Greek Food!”
Reviewed 27 July 2012

The service was friendly and fast, and we really liked everything we had - especially the pasticchio, a dish that very much resembled lasagna but with Greek style meats and seasonings in it. It was absolutely delicious, and we would recommend both the dish and the restaurant to anyone who is in the area and likes either Italian or Greek food.

• Visited July 2012
Richmond, Virginia
“Slipping a bit...pity”
Reviewed 10 June 2012

I hope the crowds will get bored of Stellas and come back to this old favorite of mine.

My recent visits reveal a place that on peak hours of Friday and Saturday, have no more than a handful of tables occupied. The most recent visit featured very lackluster service from the dude behind the bar, who did not even know to tell us about the (often outstanding) specials.

And the bread was stale. Why did I NOT send it back? We went for the Pikelia platter, and it was a delight. The Saganaki was not, despite being set on fire it was lukewarm.

This place was once one of two Greek places in Richmond. Others beckon now in town (I don't do suburban dining except for rare trips to the banal strips of Henrico). In town we have high-end and loud Stella's, with drop-dead great food but a snobby young crowd and servers who tick me off; Basili's in Carytown with amazing and cheap food (better than Stella's if you don't mind a limited menu).

Athens, however, was the gold standard for many years: dependable Greek food at good prices. I hope they can make a comeback! I rate the atmosphere 5 stars because I am fond of tacky Greek stuff: Hector dragged blood around the walls of Troy by Achilles, Polyphemus getting his one eye poked out by Ulysses, the Greek soldier in his quaint getup on the lookout for the marauding Turk...straight out of the 1960s, and I would not have it any other way.

• Visited June 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“So many great specials daily”
Reviewed 12 January 2012

The longest list of specials you will every see and each is well prepared. The lamb dishes are always just right.