“Least favorite greek in...”
Review of Athens Tavern

Athens Tavern
Ranked #657 of 1,644 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Greek
Description: An authentic Greek restaurant started in 1981. Located in the historic Fan area of Richmond. A true testament of time as a long standing neighborhood restaurant.
Reviewed 11 April 2009

Least favorite greek in town.

Reviewed 29 June 2008

Athens Tavern is a secluded, hole-in-the-wall type of restaurant in Richmond's Fan District (a Bohemian part of town, rather like Charlotte's NoDa, only bigger). It is on North Robinson Street a couple of blocks off Monument Avenue. The lighting in there was so poor outside based on the time of day and inside because of the dim lighting. When my friend Lee and I ate here, the waitress put a lighted candle on the table, to which I replied, "No thanks, we're just friends." I didn't see it, but Lee told me the look on her face was priceless. That night, it started out slow as Lee and I were only the second party. Between the time we ordered and the time our food arrived, guests started rolling in like oranges and there was only one waitress on duty who earned every tip she got. As far as ambiance is concerned, the only problem I had was the dim lighting. There were Christmas-type lights in the colours of the Greek flag, and Greek music playing softly over the loud speaker.

I had the chicken souvlaki which normally comes with a side and a salad. The side I ordered was dolmades (stuffed grape leaves) and, instead of the Greek salad, I had more dolmades. I love those things. I had Lee try one, but that is the one culinary point on which we do not agree. My chicken souvlaki cost a little more, but in terms of filling up, Lee got more bang for his buck.

Reviewed 27 June 2008

Service is professional, fun and friendly. Cozy, neighborhood feel. Price is moderate. Greek salad is terrific with greens and not just romaine. Parking is on street. Pasticio is great. So is the pork tenderloin. Eat up!

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 27 November 2007

Pretty good food, not much atmosphere. Feel neighborhoody (which is a good thing).

Reviewed 24 November 2007

I absolutely love this place. The atmosphere is relaxing and calming. The food is kind of expensive but worth it...traditional Greek entrees by candle light!