“Food was good but catering service was non existent” 2 of 5 bubbles

Croaker's Spot Restaurants
Ranked #45 of 1,594 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
New Kent, Virginia
“Food was good but catering service was non existent”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

I work for a large company in the Richmond area. I tried for 2 days to place a order to feed 20 people. All I got was the run around. So I finally went to the restaurant and the price quoted for the same order we had been getting for years had gone up by 4x. Since I was in a pinch to get food, I purchased something to feed the crowd but we will not be going back there again. The walk in business must be so good that they do not need the business from the neighboring companies.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank kim d

Hampton, Virginia
“Hot Spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

Great meal...but seved a little cold. Shrimp and fish cooked to perfection Rather small venue for this to be a very popular restaurant. Very little room to wait for a table, which you will need to do, without feeling like you're hanging over other diners plates.

Visited February 2014
Richmond, Virginia
“Good Southern Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

It has been three years since my last Croaker Spot visit. Three looooooong years since I had the opportunity to taste the delicious gourmet soul food cuisine that the Croaker Spot has to offer. But in December I took it upon myself to go to the Croaker Spot for lunch, and I was not disappointed. Here is the review.

The Good:

Service/Hospitality- As soon as I walked through the door, i was greeted by the manager, hostess and another server. They did not oversell themselves either as a bell boy might do when he is expecting a tip after carrying two pieces of luggage to a hotel room. My server was very friendly, personable, and always had a smile on her face when doing her job. My food also came out within 10 minutes of ordering. The food was hot and fresh, letting me know that the Croaker Spot is about business. Service and Hospitality are key to having a customer satisfaction.

The Food- This is what soul food is all about. I ordered the 3 piece Fried Fish Boat. It came with onions, a block of cornbread and seasoned potatoes. The fish was battered and fried to perfection and the potatoes were mighty tasty. I also ordered a side of Mac n Cheese and I was not disappointed. The Mac n Cheese was tasty without being too rich. You can never go wrong with mac n cheese, especially when you use a significant amount of cheese. *Bakers Crust, please take notes!!!

The Bargain- My meal came out to be a little over $14. Lets compare that to Mama J's. At Mama J's, you can get TWO pieces of fried catfish, cornbread, a side of mac n cheese and another side of your choosing for a little over $15. Again, my Croaker Spot meal had 4 pieces of fried fish, a bigger piece of cornbread, potatoes and a small side of mac n cheese for $14. Taste wise, Croaker Spot and Mama J's are even, but bargain wise, you will save more money and get bigger portions at Croaker Spot. P.S., Croaker Spot sells whole Bean Pies for $4 for dessert while Mama J's sells slices of cake for a similar price.

The Bad:

Bones, bones bones- The fish were not overly saturated with bones, but there were a few in them. As I pointed out in my Soul Appetit review update, the amount of bones I had in my fish might not deter the average fried fish connoisseur from enjoying the meal, but picking out the bones is just a pet peeve of mine.

Overall- Here is the equation for restaurants to earn my 5 Star Review. Great service + Great food - a long wait to be seated = 5 STARS.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Richmond, Virginia
“Always Yummy Southern Cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

We have frequented this restaurant numerous times and have always been satisfied. You must be prepared for true southern, fried, feel good food. In addition to eating at the establishment, we have used Croaker's Spot catering for a function we held at our home. They provided delivery / setup of hot, fresh, ample quantities of chicken, mac/cheese, cornbread, and desserts. Everything was perfect. Back to the restaurant -- the location is not one that you really want to visit after dark and they don't accept reservations for go early and be prepared for a brief wait. Overall, a worthwhile place to check out if you live in Richmond or travel to the area.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Really interesting, an experience unto itself.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

fish, fried stuff, really potent drinks, excellent conversation with anyone there. Nice and fun, mid-afternoon mishmash of really interesting people and

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Been to Croaker's Spot Restaurants? Share your experiences!