“Saturday Lunch”

Sam Miller's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Sam Miller's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #211 of 1,607 Restaurants in Richmond
Price range: US$30 - US$35
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 23219
Description: It is our hope that your visit to these pages will entice you to join us in person for some of "the best crab cakes in Richmond." In addition to fine seafood we serve USDA Prime beef, creative pasta dishes and salads to suit any taste.If you can't find what you are looking for here, please don't hesitate to call us. We look forward to helping you with anything from private party planning to a dinner reservation for two.
Ottawa, Canada
“Saturday Lunch”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Downtown, a lot of restaurants are closed on Saturday but fortunately we found Sam Miller's. Our server was excellent, prompt and attentive with a lovely smile even when we ordered the special divided for two. Mahi Mahi fish tasty though bun was too thick and not good quality. Nice historic atmosphere with brick walls.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Masca

Hampton, Virginia
“Beautiful place, slow service, average food”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

My friend and I chose to eat here recently – we were in a little bit of a rush and when we looked at the menu outside of the restaurant it looked great (simple American fare) so in we went. The charming old building is gorgeous….original tile floor in the bar area and hardwood flooring that creaks when servers are walking by….I really enjoyed the warm ambience. The lunch crowd on this past Friday was fairly mixed….an older couple, 2 even older businessmen, 3 young ladies…..I’d like to mention that everyone was drinking beer, lol! Upon entering Sam Miller’s the hostess fuddled a little to figure out where to seat us. She started to have us follow her and a male staff came up to her and she passed us on to him to seat us. He looked miserable, as though it was the worst thing he had to do.

After being seated he filled our water glasses and we waited for a few long minutes for our server to arrive. He was a very polite young man. It was about 12:15p and I emphasized that we were in a time crunch and had to be back to our hotel by 1pm. I stayed with my water and ordered a simple caesar salad; my friend ordered iced tea and the crab cake sandwich. Sam Miller’s boasts the best crabcakes in Richmond. For a salad and crabcake, and a restaurant that was not very busy, it felt like it took Forever to get our food. I give them the benefit of the doubt that due to our time crunch it probably felt much longer than it actually took. My caesar salad was very bland (the first time I've ever salted a salad in my 33 years) with odd clumps of cheese here and there. I’m sorry Sam Miller’s but I’ve had better salads from McDonald’s. My friend was not really a fan of the crabcake sandwich. It was pretty large and she chose the tomato and cucumber salad as her side. She asked our server to describe the salad and he just shrugged and said that it was chopped up cucumbers and tomatoes. She said the tartar sauce was bland, as was the crabcake….definitely not the best crabcake she’s ever had….maybe the best in Richmond, but being from Virginia Beach, she has definitely had much better crabcakes.

Luckily, despite our seemingly long wait, we were able to get our check, pay, and get back to our hotel in enough time. Overall our lunch was lackluster; the food was just too bland. It has a high end feel, but the food did not deliver. My favorite part was the beautiful, old building both inside and out. I don’t think I will be back anytime soon, if ever, living in Hampton, Sam Miller’s is not calling out to me to come back.

• Visited September 2013
New York City, New York
“Wonerful Bar”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

This was the widest bar that we had ever seen. Great casual food and drink.
The restoration of the old building was done in the best of taste.

Visited July 2013
Middletown
“What a gem...”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Eating at Sam Millers was such a treat, it is a quick walk from the Omni Richmond Hotel, and we plan on becoming "regulars" when in Richmond. The atmosphere is upscale casual, the service friendly and attentive, and the food is wonderful. We were pleasantly surprised at the menu selection and price of the meal. You must try this dining establishment!

Visited August 2013
Arlington, Virginia
“Don't Even Think of Eating Here!”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Walked by and thought the menu looked good. Went in. Interesting building. New waitress who did NOT know the menu. French onion soup tasted like oily marinara sauce. Waitress said, they use a lot of herbs in it. Herbs do not belong in FOS. Had shrimp Caesar salad. Tasteless shrimp. Nasty tops of lettuce. Dressing like bowl of buttermilk with no substance or flavor. Date had oysters on the half shell. They were tiny and also still dirty. He had crabcakes, which were under-cooked and doughy. The green beans were all right. When asked what was for dessert the waitress rattled off a bunch of stuff then said, "and some sort of pie that's creamy and real good." That was the lemon chess pie, which was all right. Complete disappointment. Then after returning to our hotel, my date got sick at his stomach and threw it all up. Horrible experience I would not want to repeat.

• Visited August 2013