“Great Food!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Richmond, Virginia, United States
“Great Food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

This was my first visit to Family Secrets. I went with a couple of friends whose all have been there before. I ordered the chicken wings and fish combo with a side of mac and cheese and yams. The food was awesome!! The fish was cooked perfectly where I had to share. It was as good as when my mom throws together a fish fry. The chicken wings were large and also cooked perfectly. The mac and cheese was flavorful and reminded me of my grandmother's. My favorite, the yams, had a variety of seasons that made the yams melt in your mouth. The portion size of the meal was a great deal for the price. I had enough for lunch the next day.

The only concern is that the restrooms need to be updated. There were clean, but dark. There isn't enough light in there and it's a small investment to add to the overall experience. Please make this a priority. I would love to make Family Secrets apart of my Sundays.

Visited March 2014

“Great Food & Great Service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

This place is in a shopping center off Brook & Azalea. They have good food and the owner is always on point with his customer service. He needs to put that in a bottle and sell it. There are very few private restaurant owners that have great customer service. They have great fried chicken wings, collards & cornbread. UMMM!
Some Friday nights he has a band there too.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Richmond, Virginia, United States
“Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

My wife have been to Family Secrets many times, and every visit was a pleasure to the palate. This time we brought two of our three sons. They both thought the food was great. My middle guy loves chicken wings. He could not believe the size of the wings! But my youngest put it the best. "Dad", he said, " the food here is awesome!". 'Nuff said.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Tasty Surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I are new to the Richmond area and wanted to try a few "soul food" restaurants. We first tried Croakers Spot and next it was Family Secrets. We tried the food twice and was happier the second time... So the first time we ordered from the lunch menu...I had the fried tilapia with yams and macaroni and cheese, my daughter had the fried wings lunch special with macaroni and cheese and collard greens. neither one of us was happy with the macaroni and cheese I'm not sure how to describe the taste but it did taste sour. the yams did not taste too bad but I did not like how they were prepared... they were too stringy. the collard greens, fried chicken and fried tilapia were seasoned to perfection, which is the only reason we decided to give the food a second try. On the second visit my daughter ordered the bbq rib dinner with collard greens and cabbage and I ordered the fried chicken wing dinner with collard greens and cabbage. this time we did not have a complaint with the food. both times the service was good and the workers were friendly. I would definitely suggest this place for food but you should not order the macaroni and cheese or yams

• Visited September 2013
RVA
“Unforunate Disapointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

I went to Family Secrets after hearing so many great reviews about them. I took my mom there for lunch and as expected, the decor was poor. They should definitely consider hiring a professional interior designer. I forewarn my mom of the poor decor before entering, based on a review. Anyhow, we sat and ordered our beverages, and looked over the menu for a few moments. I saw that the prices were on the expensive side, but I thought, "well, if the food is as good as they claim it to be, I'm sure it's well worth it." Right? Wrong. I'm a vegetarian, so I knew I wasn't going to get much out of the menu. I ordered the whiting and had them broil it. (Normally I would've had them fry it, but I just discovered I'm gluten intolerant =( ) Two sides come with the meal, so I ordered the cabbage and the collard greens. I later asked what the greens were seasoned with, which is pork, so I had to change my sides to cabbage and yams. My mom ordered pigs feet (yes, pigs feet) macaroni and cheese, and green beans.

Once we received our food, I was excited to try my plate and taste what all the fuss was about. Sadly, I was highly disappointed. The whiting that I ordered was a rancid piece of fish. I thought it was me, but once my mom tried it (she knows fish), it was a done deal. I told the waiter, who then asked if I wanted another piece. I told him that I'll just take another side of cabbage.

In the end, I ate cabbage and yams for $8.50. The Whiting was originally $9.00, so they took off $.50, which is the vegetarian platter on the menu. *rolling eyes* The cabbage and the yams were really good, but I was still hungry afterwards.

My mom on the other hand, loved her food. She said it was seasoned well and the food was very filling. I really wish I had a better experience. If I go again, someone else will be paying, and the restaurant will have to go under some SERIOUS renovations. The decor was next to terrible, if I say so myself. A pile of junk in the back, near the bathroom, and I didn't like how the kitchen was on display with a microwave in the front. Makes you think what's REALLY doing the cooking back there....

We went at a good time- lunch, so it wasn't crowded. I was hoping for the next Croaker Spot, but shame on me. Nothing can compare to the Croaker's Spot fish/ seafood. (In Richmond that is...)

• Visited July 2013