“Outstanding Production of The Color Purple” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #48 of 167 things to do in Richmond
Elkridge
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Outstanding Production of The Color Purple”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

The Virginia Repertory Theatre was nicer than most theaters I've been to on Broadway. It is easy to get to with great parking and restaurants nearby. And I had plenty of leg room! It was a great venue for the play. The Color Purple plays through August 2 and I can give it my best recommendation. The show was as good as any I've seen, including those at the Kennedy Center, Lyric Opera House and on Broadway. The performance by Jerold Solomon, who played Mister, is top notch. Even if you've seen this play performed in the past it is well worth a trip to Richmond to go to this version. From the Washington DC and Baltimore area it is a 3-4 hour drive, about the same as the driving time to NYC. Plus, the tickets, food & lodging are almost half the price of those on Broadway.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Judy B
VirginiaRep, Guest Relations Manager at Virginia Repertory Theatre, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for adding a photo and your experience attending 'The Color Purple'. Good word of mouth makes such a difference, and the run has been extended to August 10! We're glad you enjoyed it.

Midlothian, Virginia
175 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 196 helpful votes
“Awesome theatre downtown Richmond”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

I love Fiddler on the ROOF and was excited to take my "almost 100 yr old neighbor to
see this production recently. The man who played Rep tevia was awesome; it
was like we were in New York City and my friend Vera is from Long Island and
has been to many Broadway shows and LOVE IT!! The theatre is beautiful so
what an enjoyable evening. WE needed VALET parking so booked a night
when that was available thank you for a job well done

Visited January 2014
3 Thank jeannette y
VirginiaRep, Public Relations Manager at Virginia Repertory Theatre, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you! I apologize for the late reply, but we're glad you enjoyed 'Fiddler on the Roof'. Thanks for taking the time to post your experience here.