“Wow Fantastic Space and artistic piece”

Virginia Repertory Theatre
Ranked #49 of 180 things to do in Richmond
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We managed to obtain three tickets for The Color Purple. The theatre is a lovely old style theatre space, we had balcony unobstructed view seats, the place was packed. It was such an amazing play that we were crying in our droves, impressive acting in an atmosphere that was buzzing at 2pm in the afternoon. We managed to obtain the tickets the day before and thank goodness we did as I think many were turned away. Some patrons were using their mobile phones which was a distraction in the first half, why can't people who paid $46 just put the phone away?! Anyway staff must have noticed and stood at the side of the stairs and we were able to watch the second half in peace and what a second half. Amazing acting, singing, laughter and tears. What a treat for me and my family. This theatre is an education and an asset to Richmond well worth every penny and a second and third visit.

1  Thank Bee B

Reviewed 23 August 2014

This professional theater consistently produces wonderful productions. The last show that we saw here was The Color Purple, which was as good as any I have ever seen on Broadway, at a fraction of the cost.

1  Thank 4Norma
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The Virginia Repertory Theatre was nicer than most theaters I've been to on Broadway. It is easy to get to with great parking and restaurants nearby. And I had plenty of leg room! It was a great venue for the play. The Color Purple plays through August 2 and I can give it my best recommendation. The show was as good as any I've seen, including those at the Kennedy Center, Lyric Opera House and on Broadway. The performance by Jerold Solomon, who played Mister, is top notch. Even if you've seen this play performed in the past it is well worth a trip to Richmond to go to this version. From the Washington DC and Baltimore area it is a 3-4 hour drive, about the same as the driving time to NYC. Plus, the tickets, food & lodging are almost half the price of those on Broadway.

1  Thank Judy B
VirginiaRep, Guest Relations Manager at Virginia Repertory Theatre, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Thank you for adding a photo and your experience attending 'The Color Purple'. Good word of mouth makes such a difference, and the run has been extended to August 10! We're glad you enjoyed it.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

I love Fiddler on the ROOF and was excited to take my "almost 100 yr old neighbor to
see this production recently. The man who played Rep tevia was awesome; it
was like we were in New York City and my friend Vera is from Long Island and
has been to many Broadway shows and LOVE IT!! The theatre is beautiful so
what an enjoyable evening. WE needed VALET parking so booked a night
when that was available thank you for a job well done

3  Thank jeannette y
VirginiaRep, Public Relations Manager at Virginia Repertory Theatre, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Thank you! I apologize for the late reply, but we're glad you enjoyed 'Fiddler on the Roof'. Thanks for taking the time to post your experience here.