“Fun!”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Richmond, Virginia
“Fun!”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We went here with a large party for my friends birthday. As long as you make reservations, they are very accommodating of this. The server was nice, though the service was pretty slow. It was a Friday night and they were slammed, though, so not sure there was much she could do about that. We all greatly enjoyed our entrees except for the bacon wrapped scallops that tasted like they had been soaked in maple syrup for days! The scallops were fresh but almost impossible to taste over the maple syrup. However, we had several positive comments on the shrimp and grits, chicken and meatloaf. Everyone agreed the sides were all fantastic. The menu is pretty well designed and the prices are decent for a night out. To me, they would be a little high for just a dinner on Tuesday, but for a night out it was definitely decently priced. They have a diverse wine and beer selection as well. I will note that it was slightly loud, definitely busy and not a "white table cloth" experience wait staff. I couldn't care less about that and being from Richmond am pretty used to most of our great restaurants being this way. However, we sat next to a couple from out of town that seemed less than pleased. Also, the restaurant is across from a hardware store and a take out chicken place so that may turn off some more refined clients.

Hudson River Valley, New York
“A Must When Visiting Richmond”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Dined here with a large group and the wine and food selections were excellent. Service staff very helpful and accommodating. Plan to return if I am back in the area. Recommend making reservations.

Richmond, Virginia
“Brunch”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Three of us ate brunch here last Sunday; I'm always on the hunt for brunch spots to catch up with friends before the next work week begins The Savory Grain is located in a mid-block building that formerly housed The Empress.
There were several items on the menu that tempted me, but I settled on the carrot cake pancakes because they seemed unusual. Served with bacon and a side of mixed fruit, the pancakes were robustly thick, hearty & served hot. I told myself that the fresh shredded carrots in the batter made them a healthy choice (uh huh). Coffee cups were steadily refilled, and service was timely & cheerful. The menu offered a nice variety, so everybody will likely find something that suits their palate.
We were seated in the room beside the musicians, and they played well, but made it a bit difficult to hold a conversation without shouting. Live music is a nice touch, but I would recommend lowering the volume a bit.
The dinner menu looks good, too, so I would like to return.

• Visited March 2014
Virginia
“Bunch is new so it may take a little time to get”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We had brunch today at the Savory Grain. We arrived around 1pm and were seated right away.There was a jazz group playing and while I liked the sound- the music was a little too loud.

The food was ok- not great. I think the drawing point with the restaurant is that they use local growers.

My husband got the omelet which came with grits. He said the omelet was ok. The grits didn't have much taste. He dumped hot sauce on them. He said that the hot sauce was actually good. He realized half way through his meal that he hadn't gotten his biscuit.

I have the carrot cake pancakes. They were good however the cream cheese topping was very sweet. The hash browns were small cubes of potatoes- not much taste. Again, hot sauce to the rescue.

Because of the great reviews this restaurant has received on trip advisor, I may try the dinner menu. There are too many other restaurants that serve a much better brunch for me to go back to the Savory Grain for brunch.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank THOM8188
Spotsylvania, United States
“Great First Experience”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Our group of twelve (six couples) were planning to get together for dinner and this place was recommended. We were able to make reservations (because of the group size) for 6:30PM on Saturday night. We only had a short wait for the table to be ready. Once seated, the waitress welcomed us and gave us brief history of the restaurant and told us everything about the menu. She was very pleasant and knowledgeable and, even though the restaurant extremely busy, very attentive to us. Again, even though the place was very busy, we didn't have a long wait for our food to arrive and our meals were delicious (the venison meatloaf was great!). The service was very good and I felt the prices were reasonable for the value received. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone and I look forward to coming back here again!