“Good food, great beer” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Savory Grain
Ranked #68 of 1,579 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Greensboro, NC
“Good food, great beer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

We enjoyed our meal here for the most part. The herb roasted chicken was the best - cooked perfectly. My salad came without the promised dressing. And the pierogis were a 6 on a scale of 10. Great beers on tap, though. The ambience was nice but we went after 8:30 and unfortunately, a loud bar patron made conversation somewhat difficult. Not the restaurant's fault, obviously. I would recommend going, but do so before 8:00 if its for dinner.

Visited April 2014

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Savory.satisfaction.service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

I am in search of new dining experiences EVERY week and this is hands down my favorite. The menu is fresh with many delicious options. The owner and staff are personable- they have memories like elephants! On my second visit i was amazed that our server remembered how I like my beer served and my friend's food allergies! It's like eating with family you like!

• Visited April 2014
“Fun!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

We went here with a large party for my friends birthday. As long as you make reservations, they are very accommodating of this. The server was nice, though the service was pretty slow. It was a Friday night and they were slammed, though, so not sure there was much she could do about that. We all greatly enjoyed our entrees except for the bacon wrapped scallops that tasted like they had been soaked in maple syrup for days! The scallops were fresh but almost impossible to taste over the maple syrup. However, we had several positive comments on the shrimp and grits, chicken and meatloaf. Everyone agreed the sides were all fantastic. The menu is pretty well designed and the prices are decent for a night out. To me, they would be a little high for just a dinner on Tuesday, but for a night out it was definitely decently priced. They have a diverse wine and beer selection as well. I will note that it was slightly loud, definitely busy and not a "white table cloth" experience wait staff. I couldn't care less about that and being from Richmond am pretty used to most of our great restaurants being this way. However, we sat next to a couple from out of town that seemed less than pleased. Also, the restaurant is across from a hardware store and a take out chicken place so that may turn off some more refined clients.

• Visited February 2014
Hudson River Valley, New York
“A Must When Visiting Richmond”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Dined here with a large group and the wine and food selections were excellent. Service staff very helpful and accommodating. Plan to return if I am back in the area. Recommend making reservations.

• Visited February 2014
“Brunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

Three of us ate brunch here last Sunday; I'm always on the hunt for brunch spots to catch up with friends before the next work week begins The Savory Grain is located in a mid-block building that formerly housed The Empress.
There were several items on the menu that tempted me, but I settled on the carrot cake pancakes because they seemed unusual. Served with bacon and a side of mixed fruit, the pancakes were robustly thick, hearty & served hot. I told myself that the fresh shredded carrots in the batter made them a healthy choice (uh huh). Coffee cups were steadily refilled, and service was timely & cheerful. The menu offered a nice variety, so everybody will likely find something that suits their palate.
We were seated in the room beside the musicians, and they played well, but made it a bit difficult to hold a conversation without shouting. Live music is a nice touch, but I would recommend lowering the volume a bit.
The dinner menu looks good, too, so I would like to return.

• Visited March 2014