“Wonderful food and atmosphere although the servings are somewhat skimpy”
Review of The Savory Grain

The Savory Grain
Ranked #84 of 1,603 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Richmond, Virginia
“Wonderful food and atmosphere although the servings are somewhat skimpy”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Wanting to try all of the restaurants near Careytown, my girlfriend and I stopped by The Savory Grain the other night for a quick bite. We actually stopped first at the neighboring Pig and Pearl, which we have not tried, but the atmosphere that evening was a little too rambunctious for our mood so we tried out the Grain. We ordered martinis and were pleasantly surprised that the bar offers its own varieties of alcohol other than what one can get in other restaurants. I must admit I did finish dinner with a gin and tonic, with handmade tonic that was not my favorite.

Not being overly hungry, we split the jalapeno poppers appetizer and the sea scallops entree. Both were exceptional - however there were only four poppers and only five scallops. I am guessing we needed to order our own servings. Aside from that, the poppers wrapped in bacon had a nice hint of spiciness mixed with the coolness of the cheese based filling. The scallops were perfectly cooked and my girlfriend loved the broccolini served with it (I frankly am not a fan of many cooked vegetables).

The service was excellent and helpful, as this was our first experience. I would recommend that you try out the Grain and we will do so again. (By the way, we thought the name had something to do with bread. Instead it deals with beer - just ask them).

“Overpriced and underwhelming”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We have been very anxious to come here only to be fairly disappointed. We came with friends to celebrate a birthday. We began with the better part of the meal. Beer selection was good. For appetizers we had the calamari, which was good. We also had the pimento cheese and flatbread. Sharp cheese spread, nothing more. For dinner we got feedback from the waitress before ordering. She said the flank steak was fabulous, as well as the seafood and the chicken, and added a LOT of chicken came with the dinner. The flank steak was tough, though cooked med- rare. There was not a LOT of chicken, there was a drumstick and a thigh. My friend had the brussel sprout salad that was tasty, but nearly uneatable because the sprouts were so tough she could hardly chew them. I had the potato soup, which was more of a cream of mashed potato soup, tasty, but I was not expecting the texture. I had the pear and beet salad and added shrimp. There were 4 thin slices of beet, and 4 slices of rock hard pear, if I am paying $16 for this.....I do expect more than just 95% lettuce. It was pricey for the caliber. This is Acacia prices without the quality. We ate out on the patio which was exceptionally overcrowded with too many tables for such a small space. Overall the service was standard, nothing to rave about.

Richmond
“So good!!”
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Love the variety and the freshness. Great beer selection. The soups are always spectacular! I usually just go for soup and dessert, it's plenty!

Visited March 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Another favorite”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Creative, well-priced happy hour cocktails that were not overly sweet. Crave-worthy jalapeño poppers, and honey butter (for the bread) that you could eat right off a spoon. Sea scallops were tender and caramelized with a delicious pairing of soft, fluffy lime quinoa and well-seasoned broccolini. Greg's service and knowledge at the bar was lovely.

Chesapeake, Virginia
“Pleasant meal! Good wine selection”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Dine here after a trip to the Va Museum of Fine Arts, which is close by. The restaurant is located several blocks east of the Boulevard on Broad Street. This former Richmonder was surprised at the number of restaurants that have sprang up in this area.
The décor is unremarkable, but the service and food were great. Wine is by the glass and bottle, with a good selection that apparently changes periodically. We ordered a homemade pimento cheese appetizer, which was very tasty and plentiful enough to share. The salad selection is good -- I enjoyed a pear/yellow beet salad with some very good greens and candied pecans. Some goat or similar cheese would have been a nice addition. Others at our table ordered pork shank, which was like barbecue. It was also very good. I'd like to have another meal here and try more things on the menu.
There are tables outside, which would be pleasant in warmer weather.

• Visited April 2014