“Second Visit a Big Miss”
Review of Plaza Azteca

Plaza Azteca
Ranked #128 of 1,648 Restaurants in Richmond
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I reviewed this restaurant after my first visit in February, and I gave it high marks. My second visit was nowhere near as good as the first, and giving 3 stars is being more than fair. We ordered the same meal as before — chicken & spinach enchiladas. Two of our dishes arrived minus the chicken. When we pointed it out to the waitress, she said, "You only order spinach" and walked away. Strikes one and two.

The sauce accompanying the enchiladas had no taste at all, and the rice was cold. Strike three.

I would not go back again. I know there are other Mexican places in Richmond.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Wife & I, as well as many family members have dined here numerous times since Plaza Azteca arrived in Richmond, VA several years ago. Food & service always has been good on numerous previous visits. This time, we were dining with our niece and 6 year-old great nephew. He chose Plaza Azteca...this is one of his favorite restaurants. The three of us arrived for an early dinner about 5:30pm, because he had a 7:00pm bed time. Given the early hour, there were few dinner patrons yet; most guests were in the bar enjoying "happy hour." We were promptly seated, but waited a very long time for our server to arrive tableside; unfortunately, she was sullen and spoke little English. She had difficulty understanding our beverage order, which never arrived until our meals were served. She couldn't tell us anything about several items on the menu we tried to ask about. It quickly became obvious we were on our own, so we simply ordered dishes we'd had on previous visits. For the very few dinner patrons, our meals took far too long to arrive...and when they did arrive, my steak and wife's chicken dishes should have been sent back to the kitchen. We knew that doing so would have disrupted the entire dinner, so we didn't send them back. The chicken in wife's dish was tough, dried out saw dust, and virtually ineditble. She minced over the meal. My steak was mostly gristle and very tough and tasteless. For the price, I wasn't expecting Shula's steak house quality, but, it was pretty bad. Our great-nephew loved his chicken tenders. After we got home, we emailed the restaurant about our bad experiience using the "contact us" link on their website. It's been a couple months now since we were there and sent our email. We have yet to hear a peep from them. No apology, no contact, no nothing...just silence. There are many Mexican restaurants in the Richmond area from which to choose, it's needless to say that, forevermore, we'll be choosing other than Plaza Azteca.

1  Thank NewfyNewf
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Was within walking distance of our hotel so wife and I went there for dinner one night of a business trip to Richmond. Chaps and salsa were fine. My wine was served in a after dinner liqueur glass and I had to remind them to bring it fifteen minutes into the meal. Stay away from the house Cab: it took a few layers of enamel off my teeth. March was probably not a good vintage! Quesos were interesting, a mix of sausage and cheese, a kind of sizzling casserole. Excellent! The Fajitas and Enchilada Banderas were equally as good but the tortillas accompanying the Fajitas were forgotten. As well, the aisles are narrow and some sort of serving cart is constantly and noisily being wheeled up and down, not to mention bus racks.. Hard to see due to the high-backed booths, but the high backs keep the rather intense noise down to a level where one can actually conduct a conversation without screaming: A definite plus as the noise level is high! The booth back on my wife's side had been cracked and rather than fix it properly someone had screwed two aluminum strips over the cracks. They might have at least painted them dark to match the pressed wood they were made of.

All in all we'd go back for the food but not the service or atmosphere.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

My son recently moved to Richmond, and we went here one evening for a quick dinner. He chose Plaza Azteca because he'd been there before and liked it. I had to agree that it was very good.

We both had enchiladas, and they were terrific. The portion was large, and he ended up taking over 1/2 of mine and some of his home. Service was quick and friendly.

I will definitely return next time we're in Richmond.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Awesome margaritas! Great selection and choices to try. I was with a friend and we wanted to spend time talking, the waiter allowed us to do so for more than two hours! Did fill up on wonderful and great tasting food!