“Love/hate relationship with this place..”

Sakura Sushi and Steak
Ranked #731 of 1,612 Restaurants in Richmond
Fairfax, Virginia
“Love/hate relationship with this place..”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Let me start off by saying that when this place first opened, I was a regular; ate there 3 times a week almost. Used to always get their lunch special, hibachi steak, with extra teriyaki sauce and "yum yum" sauce. Was a great deal at first (10 dollars) and it's nothing like that cheap stuff you get at malls, this was quality stuff.

The servers at that time had a very hard time speaking English but that never bothers me.. until this one time. A few of us went it, ordered, and the waitress bought us a sushi dish we did not order. We told her this wasn't ours, that it was a mistake, but she said "no no, it's OK!". So.. ok we thought? Then the bill comes, not only did they charge us for it, but this was the most expensive sushi on the menu. When I tried to tell her about the mistake she kept denying everything. I then asked to see the manager, who happened to be the sushi chef that night. He comes over, I tell him what happened, and he KNOWS I'm a regular, and he says "NO! YOU MUST PAY!". Unbelievable, terrible customer service. I swore I would never come back after that incident.

But I'm weak, their teriyake sauce is just freaking awesome. Their "yum yum" sauce was also amazing. The first few times I had friends pick the food up for me so I don't go in all embarrassed, I then got over it because honestly, the food is really good. Service still sucks though, and the place always smells like Clorox, very unappetizing. I wonder if things changed since a few years back.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Torki A

Been to Sakura Sushi and Steak? Share your experiences!