“Disappointing - average at best pizza and poor salad”
Review of Mellow Mushroom

Mellow Mushroom
Ranked #25 of 1,620 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Mellow Mushroom's menu showcases natural flavors and the freshest of ingredients in a creative menu assortment of pizzas, hoagies, salads, calzones, appetizers and vegetarian and vegan options. Gluten free crust and a kids menu are also available. Fantastic pizza and 40 taps with some great local brews. We also cater on order of $150+ within 20 minutes of Carytown.
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Spent a Sunday afternoon leisurely strolling the sidewalks of Carytown and needed a spot for lunch. We saw a good number of people dining at the Mellow Mushroom and thought we’d give it a try. We were promptly greeted at the front door by a friendly guy who let us browse the menu and then a few minutes later showed us to a booth. Our waiter, who we described as mellow, was exactly that. He was okay; super laid back in a mild kind of surfer dude way. We ordered two cheese pizzas; one small cheese and one gluten-free cheese, as well as a small Caesar and Greek salad. The salads arrived a bit longer than I felt they should have. Super hungry and ready to devour, I found my Greek salad to be a bowl full of poor quality lettuce, which looked unappetizing. I tried to dig around to find the fresher pieces. With peak fresh veggie season going on, I expected to find red, ripe juicy tomatoes other than the two pale quarter sized slices topping my salad. For some reason, the fresh factor of the Caesar salad better than the Greek. The pizzas arrived, but once again a disappointment. The GF was super thin with a crunchy edge, but when trying to pick up a slice it was so limp it drooped in my hand. The regular pizza looked good, with a nice thick crust, but the taste was comparable to a frozen pizza. We left wishing we had dined elsewhere. I do have to give them a thumbs up for their spotless restrooms!

There are newer reviews for Mellow Mushroom

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Look, I know Richmond has its own collection of food snobs. I can sometimes fit that description simply because I avoid chain restaurants. We have such an amazing collection of eateries in Richmond, that you shouldn't go eat at a chain restaurant, EVER! This would be the exception. If you are feeling like a funky pizza, give it a shot! I personally love the Jamaican jerk chicken pizza or sub. Something about the way they season it that makes it amazing! The atmosphere is very upbeat and they have a great beer selection!

Reviewed 20 May 2014

The pizza is good and the beer is great . . . We have eaten there frequently but two poor quality control experiences in a row have been disappointing. The first was a substitution -or mistake - of toppings. It took us a bit to realize we had bacon instead of pepperoni, but we chalked it off. Mistakes happen so no big deal. The next time it was worse. Our pizza crust was burned black on the bottom, which really affected the taste. We had waited at least 30 minutes for the table and another 30 for the pizza, so we ate it out of desperation. We showed the crust to our server before we ate it to let her know that it had happened but we didn't have time for a redo. She said she'd discount the bill. The manager came over and we explained the situation - that we ate the pizza because we had waited so long but it was burned. No apparent concern regarding the lack of quality and no discount. I guess they figured if we ate it then how bad could it have been. We haven't been back.

1  Thank Melissa W
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Mellow Mushroom is located on a cute street with interesting shops. The interior is 60's and worth going in just to see the "audiophile" artwork on the wall. This mural is made up of records, CDs, tapes and audio equipment -- remember 8-track and cassette tapes? We arrived about 5pm on a rainy Wednesday night and had no problem getting a table, but by the time we left the place was packed. Service was efficient, friendly and helpful. My boyfriend liked being able to try a couple of beers before deciding which to order. We split a regular chef salad that was a nice mix of veggies and served in a tilted melamine bowl -- part of the funky 60's feel. The server recommended the Esperanza dressing and it is delicious. Our large pizza -- half Kosmic Karma and half Philosopher's Pie -- was two completely different kinds of pie (one with red sauce base and one with oil and garlic base) and both were yummy. The crust was crisp and light and the toppings arranged in a pleasing way. Everything looked and tasted fresh. Bathrooms are very nice art deco feeling with black and white tile. The sinks and toilets appeared clean, but the stalls needed a thorough wash-down.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Wife and I decided to try this out the other week and we had an hour long wait. This place was packed and jumping. Now on to the food. The pizza was good, not great, but good. However, this may sound weird, but the leftovers I had the next day, were even better (in the oven of course). The pizza didn't have that robust flavor I was looking for compared to their competitior which is literally down the street called Mary Angela's but I'm glad that I decided to try it. I had pepperoni, sausage and onions on my half and the wifey had pepperoni and pineapple on hers and I have to be honest, that was the besting pepperoni/pineapple combination I've ever had. All in all, I would go back and know that their pizza cost more than the chain restaurants. Ambiance is good and loud. Location is great in Carytown.