“I felt like family..”
Review of Deco Ristorante - CLOSED

Deco Ristorante
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Southern Italian/Sicilian cuisine in an Art Deco inspired setting. Located in the heart of the museum district in Richmond, Va.
Reviewed 3 July 2013

My wife and I went to Deco last night to celebrate my birthday. I had heard they just got the Elby Award for best new restaurant so I was very excited to try it. We had a reservation at 745pm but when we arrived our table wasnt ready but we didnt care since we were in no hurry. We sat at the bar and since the bartender was so busy that after he finally got us our speciality cocktails he also ordered us some chickpea fritters on the house for waiting. Very generous and much appreciated. We were also greeted by Chef Giuseppe as soon as we walked in the door, he is a very warm guy who treats people like family. He immediately told us what drinks were good and what he just made fresh that day. I can't tell you how many restaurants I have been into where the owner or manager never came up to our table and spoke or asked us how the food was. I think it goes such a long way in the dining experience. We soon moved over to our table where they allowed us to order a appetizer small plate that is actually on the bar menu so we got the Raviollis with Porcini Mushroom which was incredible, especially the cream sauce that was on top. We then ordered a bottle of Silician wine which we didnt know much about but was excellent. For entrees my wife and I split our meals, I ordered ZUPPA DI PESCE which had lots of fresh seafood in his homemade tomato sauce and then my wife ordered PASTA SIRACUSA that had eggplant, roasted red peppers and olives in a tomato sauce. With each bite we could really see this place puts pride in their food and tries to have the freshest ingredients and we appreciate that. To end a great night and meal, the bartender brought over Tirimusu for my bday with a candle on it. I couldnt say enough about the service and also the owner and the bartender who came to our table many times to talk and check on us. Chef Giuseppe even showed me on his phone him making the Gnocchi the night before and we shared pictures of a little baby daughters. We will be back and we are so glad you are close by.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

I think they must have someone's Sicilian grandmother tucked away in the kitchen, as the food is both traditional and exceedingly fresh. It is a bit cramped, but the staff and owner go out of their way to make you feel at home. The meatball appetizer with currants and pine nuts is delicious, and their grilled (not fried!) calamari is spot on. A little pricey on the wine, but otherwise a no-brainier for excellent Italian in Richmond. Bravo!

2  Thank Dickm8
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Food was fantastic and service was excellent. The decor was definitely unique and done in an Art Deco style from whence the name came. My only complaint was they have far too many tables for the space they Have. The waitress, due to the tight space, knocked into my wife throughout our meal. If there were about 3 tables less, the experience would have been much more pleasant. Also, with the overcrowding, the restaurant was boiling hot. Still worth the visit, but not at peak time.

1  Thank PCreasy
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Many years ago we stumbled upon an Italian restaurant in a nondescript strip mall close to home. The food was superb. We chatted with the friendly owner/chef on every visit. A terrific respite in a very unexpected location. Then, things changed. The food went downhill after the owner sold it and we never went back.

Flash forward to a couple of months ago when we finally made it to Deco after hearing about it for so long. WOW! "This is terrific," we thought before seeing the owner/chef and realized it's the same guy! Same wonderful food, same approachable personality.

I'm a fan of rock fish. Whenever I find it on a menu, at home or abroad, I try it. Nothing compares to Mamma Zu's version in Oregon Hill, Richmond. Hands down the best. Anywhere. Until now. Deco's rock fish is outstanding - a nice thick "steak" nestled amidst chopped fresh tomatoes and little white wine sauce - just a little. Nothing over the top to distract from the fish.

Pastas and apps are authentic according to an Italian friend who accompanied us on our first visit. Authentic or not, everything is delicious.

The service is great and prices are reasonable.

Mangia!

1  Thank takeyourdog
Reviewed 5 June 2013

We had a fabulous meal at this attractive restaurant in Richmond. The owner is a charming guy from Sicily and his food is the real thing. The arancini (rice balls) were superb. We all enjoyed our entrees, delicious chicken dishes, terrific pasta. The desserts were also very special and generous. The waitress was friendly and attentive. The prices were very reasonable. This is a place worth many return visits. A real find.

1  Thank Barbara I