“Dinner”

Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: American, International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: N. Sheppard St.
“Dinner”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

My husband and I went for dinner.Ha! We had fried Oysters good but you get 4, yes 4 Oysters for $10.00. My husband had the shrimp and grits. They were good but again small and not enough shrimp I think there were 5 shrimp and it wasn't like they were collossal shrimp. The greens were delicious. I had the jerk chicken Quesadilla was ok. The drinks were good but expensive. We paid $9.00 for a Long Island Ice Tea:( I would giv more stars if they gave you more food and the drinks were cheaper. Prices too high for what you get.

• Visited June 2012

“Awesome burgers”
Reviewed 18 December 2011

This place has the best burgers, don't miss the 'Luther' and the 'Vegetarians nightmare".

• Visited December 2011
“Second Visit Worthwhile”
Reviewed 16 December 2011

We live near Caliente, and I like hot but not stupid-hot food. So we gave it a try. They have a good selection of entrees and sandwiches for all tastes. I was not expecting more than a local bar with decent food and not too many TVs (always a minus). It's a bit beyond that, the sort of decent neighborhood place without too many nasal-voice, annoying texty-text girlies and their doofus frat-rat beaus. In other words: hip (but not hipster) Xer crowd and some Boomers. Right on. Get me a beer. Make that two.

We were served well on both visits, got sandwiches and on the second trip, tried the mildest BBQ wings (I added some of their home made, and delicious, hot sauce). The wings are meaty and worth the effort. The beer selection is very good, and I'm going to have them make a cocktail next time for me. The place revived the locally famous Border Cafe chili, including the "Widow Maker" variety. I had the mild and made it hotter...a trip back in time for me. Well done.

We had a pleasant exchange with the manager after our second visit. Our bill was overcharged, an honest mistake by our server. The manager had it correctly billed to us within a few days.

Final warning: avoid the Stupid Wings. On the first visit, a macho-acting fellow bit ONE and ran, yelling, for the men's room. So try the regular hot varieties first, unless you are a frat-boy or other species of chest-thumping idiot and like to punish yourself. I eat the occasional habenero peppers and prefer fresh jalapeños to pickled, and the Stupid Wings are far beyond me.

Visited December 2011
Richmond, Virginia
“Neighborhood Feel with Excellent Food”
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Another great meal at Caliente. My husband had the duck special which tasted great but could have had a little better sear. I had a regular menu item, costa rican inspired (casado) that included shredded chicken, plantains, black beans, cheese, tortillas and a side salad. DELiISH! Caliente never disappoints and tonight was one of my very best meals there.

Glen Allen, Virginia
“I'm 50/50 on this place guys.”
Reviewed 20 March 2011

We just moved to VA and my aunt and cousin came down to visit us for a day of shopping at VCC. This restaurant was in our choices for certificates from restaurant.com. We waited too late to agree on a place to print the certificate and I so wish we had. My son and my bill was $42 and my aunt's and cousin's bill $37 (use the certificates from restaurant.com).

When we got there it was pretty empty but the ambiance was decent enough. We chose the location because it was Creole/Cajun and Caribbean. Needless to say I didn't see any staff in there who looked like they've ever been to Trinidad OR New Orleans so we were worried.

We started with the honey chipotle wings and when we bit into them we knew something wasn't right but we just assumed the meet just didn't mesh well with the sauce. Once I'd finished two, my aunt one and my son one, we realized the chicken wasn't cooked thoroughly and there was much pink and blood in the chicken. We returned it and the waitress who was very attentive (Drinks wise) apologized and offered to get us more but we passed. My advice, if your wings taste funny, check the center.

Our meals came and the food was absolutely delicious. My son had the pork shank, recommended by the waitress, I had the Margarita Salmon and my aunt had the Jerk Chicken. My baby cousin had chicken fingers. I will say that they redeemed themselves with our main course. The Yellow Rice was absolutely delicious and the greens too. While eating dinner the place became jammed packed for a Saturday and we were impressed that they got such patronage.

I don't think I would go back because the crowd is not a good mix and my son felt out of place (he's my dining buddy in our new state so enough said about getting him to go back). My only other peeve is that the bathroom is one toilet/sink deal (ladies) while needing updating it seemed clean but I don't feel bathrooms like that can get enough attention at a restaurant.

I clicked no because I wouldn't recommend this restaurant to a friend or family. I would just share my experience which was 50/50 and let them decide.

• Visited March 2011