“Man vs Food let me down”
Review of Caliente - CLOSED

Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: American, International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: N. Sheppard St.
Ringgold, Georgia
“Man vs Food let me down”
Reviewed 12 September 2012 via mobile

I saw this restaraunt on man vs food and decided since we were going to Richmond, we would try it! Big mistake! $20.00 for a pitcher of beer that tasted horrid!!! Food was not good at all. Our ticket was $66.00, we get more food, better food, better service from the cheesecake factory. I was so upset that I ate here! My husband got the jambalaya and it tasted just like salty tomato soup! Ewwwww.. I got the coconut chicken which was dripping of grease, disgusting! I know its fried but let the grease drain, the rice was old and plain tasting that came with the chicken! Maybe ill just watch man vs food instead of trying for myself from now on!

1 Thank bailey h

Appomattox, VA
“Old Richmond Neighborhood Atmosphere”
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We went on a Saturday evening with three adults, one teen and a nine year old. The place is a corner restaurant that has street parking, and the feeling of old Richmond that I recall from restaurants of decades ago in the fan. Small, not fancy, and more bar-like than restaurant-like.
The nine year old was not impressed with the ambiance, but the teen was. We ordered a seasoned fries appetizer which came with two dipping sauces. (Excellent choice) All the food was served in a timely manner, it was hot, and the service was quite good. Our waitress was very accomodating. Shrimp and grits were good, portobello burger had to be divided up and eaten with a fork, the mussells were pronounced "delicious". Better food than you would expect from a neighborhood bar. Eclectic menu. Even the kid's meal won over the nine year old.

• Visited June 2012
“Dinner”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

My husband and I went for dinner.Ha! We had fried Oysters good but you get 4, yes 4 Oysters for $10.00. My husband had the shrimp and grits. They were good but again small and not enough shrimp I think there were 5 shrimp and it wasn't like they were collossal shrimp. The greens were delicious. I had the jerk chicken Quesadilla was ok. The drinks were good but expensive. We paid $9.00 for a Long Island Ice Tea:( I would giv more stars if they gave you more food and the drinks were cheaper. Prices too high for what you get.

• Visited June 2012
Richmond, Virginia
“Awesome burgers”
Reviewed 18 December 2011

This place has the best burgers, don't miss the 'Luther' and the 'Vegetarians nightmare".

• Visited December 2011
Richmond, Virginia
“Second Visit Worthwhile”
Reviewed 16 December 2011

We live near Caliente, and I like hot but not stupid-hot food. So we gave it a try. They have a good selection of entrees and sandwiches for all tastes. I was not expecting more than a local bar with decent food and not too many TVs (always a minus). It's a bit beyond that, the sort of decent neighborhood place without too many nasal-voice, annoying texty-text girlies and their doofus frat-rat beaus. In other words: hip (but not hipster) Xer crowd and some Boomers. Right on. Get me a beer. Make that two.

We were served well on both visits, got sandwiches and on the second trip, tried the mildest BBQ wings (I added some of their home made, and delicious, hot sauce). The wings are meaty and worth the effort. The beer selection is very good, and I'm going to have them make a cocktail next time for me. The place revived the locally famous Border Cafe chili, including the "Widow Maker" variety. I had the mild and made it hotter...a trip back in time for me. Well done.

We had a pleasant exchange with the manager after our second visit. Our bill was overcharged, an honest mistake by our server. The manager had it correctly billed to us within a few days.

Final warning: avoid the Stupid Wings. On the first visit, a macho-acting fellow bit ONE and ran, yelling, for the men's room. So try the regular hot varieties first, unless you are a frat-boy or other species of chest-thumping idiot and like to punish yourself. I eat the occasional habenero peppers and prefer fresh jalapeños to pickled, and the Stupid Wings are far beyond me.

Visited December 2011