“A meal to be remembered”
Review of Chez Foushee

Chez Foushee
Ranked #74 of 1,608 Restaurants in Richmond
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
North Carolina
“A meal to be remembered”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My friend and I came to this place at 11:30 a.m., hoping for a pleasant early lunch in what looked like a pleasant setting. What we got is a meal that we'll remember for a long time. Chez Foushee is somewhat shabbily chic on the outside but all about well-served and well-prepared food on the inside. I ordered okra gumbo, which was only fair to middling when compared with other gumbos I've had. But my friend's meal was perfect: lump crab cake, green beans, and coarsely-ground cheese grits. These quite ordinary items were so perfectly cooked and presented that they added up to a truly excellent dining experience. And then we ordered dessert: toffee pudding for me, which was very good but not great, and lemon butter cake for my friend--a dessert to end all desserts. We oohed and aahed our way through every heavenly bite, agreeing that this cake might just be the best sweet/tart thing we'd ever tasted (and we're pretty old!).
The restaurant's interior is classically simple, with lots of natural light pouring in. The service was impeccable. Our meal, including the two entrees, two desserts, and two drinks, cost about $40 and was worth every penny. Don't miss this place if you relish good food as much as I do.

Hannover, Germany
“Excellent food, but too expensive”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

My wife and I enjoy creative high-class cuisine. Therefore, we like to visit fine dining restaurants every now and then, especially when we are on vacation (provided the necessary petty cash). We did so on our one-night stay to Richmond and decided to try the Chez Foushee, which we found via Trip Advisor. As already written by many others, the food was excellent, so was the service. We particularly liked the relaxed atmosphere and that we could take the time to finish our bottle of wine without being pressured by being given the check (we had to ask for it). However, compared to other restaurants on a similar level, the prices are a bit too high for my taste. I also did not like that the table decoration made the place look unnecessarily cheap (paper tablecloth, bad contact in the table lamp). In summary, at Chez Foushee you will get excellent food for a higher-than-average price, but you shouldn't expect perfection in table decoration.

• Visited May 2014
Frederick
“Inventive French Southern!”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Visited the 1st time two years ago. This was the only restaurant to which I returned on my recent visit. I will come back again!
Inventive French southern! The pimento cheese appetizer could be an entree it is so generous. A special gumbo of the day was our 2nd appetizer. Who could ask for more than shrimp over green chili grits? All delish!
Lovely service, marvelous seating options on two levels and a great view of the outside goings-and-comings.

Richmond, Virginia
“One of Richmond's Best... But Beware The Parking Situation...”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

First the good news. Chez Foushee offers very satisfying, excellent food, creatively prepared and served in an attractive period building located a block off the city's growing Broad Street arts district. The menu offers a typical selection of locally sourced fresh seafood, meat and even vegetarian options, many prepared with an innovative flair. A good example were the soft-shell crabs I enjoyed on a recent evening, topped with lump crabmeat in a pesto-mayo and served atop roasted vegetables. Yummy, indeed. Oh... and the service was attentive and upbeat, and the wine list, while modest, was perfectly adequate.

Then there's the parking situation, which is really a larger Richmond issue. Chez Foushee's owner pays a fee enabling patrons to park in a lot, a half block from the restaurant. Convenient, right? Well... not so fast. What the owner didn't tell us was to be sure and park on the side of the lot closest to the restaurant. Otherwise... you'll be towed. The challenge, here, is that it looks like one big lot. But it's not, as were soon to discover...

As we left the restaurant and walked towards our car, a tow truck was idling behind our car, the driver smacking his lips in anticipation of a nice fat fee. He explained how the lot was configured, and where in the lot we were not likely to be towed on future visits. Happily, we had arrived just in time... You might not be so lucky.

Okay, so there you have it. A really enjoyable restaurant in a location where Richmond needs and wants good restaurants. But the deplorable parking situation -- if you're lucky, opt for the street -- does give one pause. One might hope that someday... the Richmond City Fathers would begging developing some smart urban planing and zoning strategies that actually accommodate and encourage downtown restaurant and theater patronage. But until that day, it's the parking wild west... and good restaurants like Chez Foushee are likely to pay a heavy price.

1 Thank Freddyt64
“Elegant without Attitude”
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

We've enjoyed lunches as well as dinners at Chez Foushee for years. Although the menu changes with the seasons, the lemon butter cake is a delicious constant. Even though they have specials, the prices for dinner so expensive that we can only enjoy dining there on special occasions.

Visited March 2014