“Worthy of NONNA'S Approval!!”

La Grotta Ristorante
Reserve with OpenTable
La Grotta Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 1,612 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Take one step inside the door of La Grotta Ristorante and you will be transported to Northern Italy. The smell of roasted garlic and rich flavors of Italian cuisine is irresistible. In true tradition of Italian hospitality, La Grotta provides guests with the finest, most flavorful dishes, professional and friendly wait staff, and a warm and inviting atmosphere. La Grotta means, "The Cave", and resembles a wine cellar for an intimate dining experience. Guests can also dine in the restaurants actual wine cellar room as well. La Grotta Ristorante excels in serving lunch and dinner parties. Chef Antonio and manager Andrea will work closely to ensure that your party will experience a special and memorable dinner or event. Try some of our favorites including the Chicken Ravioli at lunch and our Agnolotti for dinner. We have also won the Wine Spectator Award for Excellence in 2010. We are sure to have the perfect wine to pair with your meal. We look forward to seeing you soon at La Grotta Ristorante.
Broomall, Pennsylvania
“Worthy of NONNA'S Approval!!”
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

I don't even know where to begin because everything we had was authentic Italian food made with LOVE!!! My husband got gnocchi which tasted just like his mother's ( very light ) & I had linguine with clams. I ate the whole thing because it was so good and didn't even share with my husband. Dessert you must get the coconut cake it is made there on the premises if you love coconut of course so much so that we took another piece home to Pennsylvania. My husband swore it was the same exact cake that his Nonna used for all her recipes.
If we are ever cutting through Richmond Virginia again you bet your bottom dollar will be stopping by there to eat!!! In fact I may even go out of my way to stop there again.

Somerset, New Jersey
“Excellent, Authentic Italian”
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

My family and I visited La Grotta last week on Wednesday, August 6th, for the first time, and would return again whenever we are in Richmond. This might very well occur as we were there to tour the University with our son who is a prospective student. I would like to get my one complaint out the way first : our otherwise excellent waiter decanted our wine without consulting me, which should never happen. There are specific reasons to decant wines, and none applied to the bottle I had ordered. However, as my rating and title indicate, this was a relatively minor flaw. Both the wine and wine list were superb. As were the decor and food. La Grotta is a subterranean restaurant, for which I have a fondness. Several of my favorite NYC restaurants are below street level, and La Grotta reminded me of them. The lovely dining rooms are brick-walled with arches reminiscent of a Tuscan wine cellar. We loved the ambiance immediately, but the food and that 2008 Chianti Classico Riserva made the meal truly memorable. All of our entrees were beautifully prepared. Other highlights include exemplary Caesar salad and tiramisu, two dishes that I use to judge Italian restaurants because of their ubiquity. These, however, were superb...authentic yet distinctive. One final word about wine...What a wine list! The owner takes wine seriously and has put together a deep, varied list with a strong focus on Italy, perfect to match with this beautiful menu. I hope we find ourselves in Richmond soon to revisit La Grotta.

Dallas, Texas
“Food is so very good. The host as an attitude problem.”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

This review would be all excellent except for one reason - the bald host at the restaurant . We had a reservation for our anniversary dinner. We happened to have our adult daughter with us. They couldn't find our reservation , so the bald man called us walk ins with his attitude . The place was empty.
He tried to shove us on a bench in the back corner room. He said because we were 3 people and walk ins. We again explained we had a reservation (older heavily accented man had taken it) and it was our anniversary. He begrudgingly moved us and said " here is your table ' then muttered he would have to move things around' .
I wanted to leave. It really felt like this was going to ruin our night. Glad we stayed.
Out waiter was pleasant and the food was fresh and wonderful. The tiramisu was amazing.
When we left most of the tables were still empty around us. What was that bald hosts problem? He really needs some attitude training.

• Visited August 2014
3 Thank mmsc40
Chesterfield, Virginia
“Good but not great as I come to expect from this usually great local restaurant.”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I'm sorry to say that they were not up to par on this visit. I go to this place as often as I can, it is one of my favorites in Richmond. We usually go with friends an I order the chef-choice 5 course meal and I never been disappointed but this time it didn't perform as good as it always did before. The courses were a bit bland and insignificant, the main course (You pick this one from any item on the menu) was very good and made up for the rest of the experience but it left me thinking that for the price I will just order from the menu next time and forget the multi course experience. Or maybe it was an of day for the chef, no I cant accept this form La Grotta.

• Visited July 2014
Midlothian, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“La Grotta made my daughter's graduation dinner pure magic!”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We reserved the La Grotta wine cellar for a big gathering of friends and family after my daughter's high school graduation. The entire experience - ambiance, service, food and wine - were all perfect. La Grotta is more than a restaurant - an evening there is like being transported to Italy and treated to dinner by a close friend who happens to be a brilliant chef and world class sommelier.

Andrea, the manager, was a joy to work with in planning our menu. We agreed upon five courses and that the chief, Tony, would choose a wine pairing for each course. Dinner started with a surprise gift of puff pastries filled with mushroom and artichokes that were light yet rich. Next came a pair of soups, bisques of squash & pancetta and celery & chicken. Tony paired a varietal none of us had ever tried, Schioppettino, with the pastries and soups and it was magical. Light in body but with firm acidity, the wine brought out all the flavors of the perfectly seasoned and prepared soups.

Next came a pheasant ravioli in a sauce combining wine, browned butter and fresh julienned vegetables. The ravioli was perfectly al dente and the savory pheasant was perfectly accented by the sauce. Tony paired a 2006 Amarone with the pasta and it blew everyone away with its power, yet the wine brought out and enhanced the flavors of the pasta rather than smothering them.

The Insalata Del Cuoco was perfectly paired with a Greco di Tufo and primed everyone for their entrees. Although offered a mix of potential entrees, everyone selected either the filet mignon with brandy/peppercorn sauce, the quail stuffed with sausage and sage or the veal topped with prosciutto, asparagus and mozzarella. Fierce debates erupted all along the table as to who had ordered the best entree, with everyone advocating for his or her selection.

My mom cannot eat peppercorns and asked for the sauce on her steak to be put on the side. Instead,Tony came out to find out what types of sauces she tended to like and whipped up a mushroom sauce and a strawberry reduction just for her. Mom loved the mushroom sauce (the best sauce she's ever had with a steak) and everyone who ordered the quail fought over the strawberry reduction. Mom said in 77 years of fine dining she has never had a chef go to such lengths to make sure her meal was perfect.

Pairing a wine across so many different entrees was tricky, but Tony produced a 1999 Barolo that topped even the Amorone and Schioppettino in drawing rave reviews. Dessert continued the rave reviews, with tiramisu, an incredible chocolate mousse and the best coconut cake in history (I hope my dear departed grandmother forgives me for that statement but it's true).

I can't wait until my next time enjoying Andrea's and Tony's hospitality. I have been bombarded with accolades from everyone who attended, along with requests for a repeat in the very near future!

• Visited June 2014